New Glowstick from berkley

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DieRache, Jun 28, 2009.

1. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    has anyone used or know about the Glowstick from berkley? I had seen it on line a few places never any reviews, I now see them popping up in local stores. I dont know if it is just a gimic thing or if they are really any good. I played witht he rod in the store and seemed to be well built. Any reviews or knowledge about these poles would be great. Friends Bday is coming up and he is new to Cattin and wife and I are thinking of picking on up for him.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I dont know if i have the "NEW" one but i have one that takes AA batt's its a 10ft 2pc with two blue led lights built in if thats what u are talking about i like it a lot i bought it from bps about a month and half ago

3. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea that is the one. Yea it is not new but well new around here. good action and about to take a big cat on. Thanks for the info. Also do the lights really help see strikes all that well.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Matt there is only ONE thing you will here about the glowstick's...They are a GREAT POLE!!!!

5. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i have had 6 of them for over a year now. these are my main rods that i use. i have caught big flats and blues (upper 40lb range) in heavy current with no problems. the lights are great no need for glowsticks anymore. mine take 3 aaa batteries and i change them 1 time amth. weather they need it or not. me and tracy both have had these rods in one hell of a bind and they have never let us down yet. i have total confidence in these rods. now you cant hoist in big fish with them like you could with a 6' boat rod but they will get the job done. i use the 7' casting model.

6. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thank you all for the help heading out today to pick one up, Hell may even get one for myself.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go for it. They are great poles. I however don't even put batteries in mine, don't have to they glow in the dark! :wink:

8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    the only complaint i have is that the LEDs cut out after a month, and i wish they lit the tip a little better but like jack said, you dont need em, they glow in the dark, other then that they can haul in anything you hook into, very well built rod.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 10' glow stick. It is ready for battle with the largest of cats. I dont use batteries anymore though. I simply put an 8" glow stick in the tip of it and the tip lights up perfectly....all night long.:cool2:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
  11. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I bought the combo from Wal-Mart, 7" spinning rod, and it hasn't let me down.
    I will be buying the 10ft. 2-piece to go with my Penn 209 real soon. I love them!

My only complaint is when we go "lights out" on the bank and I turn on the blue LEDs, your eyes have problems adjusting around those things. I can see better with them off. So I turn them on for 10 minutes or so then just go off of the glow after turning them off.

12. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well what i thought about doin was taking some black electrical tape and covering the bottom led to dim it down some. i sometimes have that problem to when i put new batts. in.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Great idea. I'll have to do that.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have a 8' spinning and a 7' casting, seven ' has better backbone, have not played with a 8' foot casting. casting style rod, I believe, has more eyes on it. would not recommend the spinning for large cats. Thats just me.
    Jim

16. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    i've got the 7' glowstick and i haven't had any probs with it, i do mostly night fishing and it makes it nice to be able to see your pole. The only thing i dont like is how thin they make the tips wish they'd make em with a thicker tip still have yet to catch anything big enough to snap it.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there awsom , you cant get a better rod for 34 bucks, in my opinion,

18. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

I got the 7' spinning combo and am happy with it. The higher led seemed too bright and messed with your vision...so I put a few wraps of electrical tape around that spot and made it much better. The lower led didn't really bother me but that may change when I put in new batteries!

I have to leave the led's on because where I fish there is some close "ambient" lighting that keeps the rod from glowing on its own. But take it to a darker spot and it makes a difference.

Would I buy again???....Yes!

19. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have 7 of them

1 7ft spinning, good for slip bobbers from the boat
    2 8ft casting, my favorite flathead rods unless I am fishing extreme cover
    2 7ft casting, my usual river cut bait, or worm rods in the boat
    2 7ft casting walleye series, very light weight and fun for smaller fish or less current. I really like them if I will be holding the rod and not using holders but they lack much backbone or heavy eyes.

They are great rods for 95% of catfishing, and the other 5% I go extremely heavy and still lose fish.

20. wvcatfisher

wvcatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I bought one a cpl years back. It's a decent enuff rod, but mine has never really lit up past the point where the 2 piece rod joins. So I get alot of light for half the rod but not up on the tip end where I want it.
    Hope this helps.