New Gear: what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by IrishO'Brady, Aug 25, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Hey guys- Just got a Medium Heavy 7' (16-30lb) Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish Rod. While I liked the Berkley big game rod the only ones I could find locally were 6'mh or 7'6 m. Although I liked the 7'6 length, medium just had no backbone, and the 6' just seemed too short. The Striper rodwas nice, but it was super duper flippy tip- I beleive it was more for straight downrigging/ suspending live bait at depths- so for once it seems something labeled as speceis specific might actually be right on the money. I put a PENN 209 M on it. I couldnt decide on mono or braid, and as I know the advantages/disadvantages of both, I went with 30lb. Yo-Zuri Hybrid, a copolymer line with flourocarbon shell and nylon inner. Less stretch and thinner than your standard mono, but not quite the stiffness of braid. I think this set up should prove nice, but I still have a lot to learn and any input (positive or negative) would be very good. I do a lot of other fishing, but I'm newer to the catfishing scene. I'm headed to Tennessee river this weekend to hunt for some (hopefully) big cats with this set up and thought it be a good idea to ask the brotherhood for input

2. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the boc sounds like a good set up i personaly like berkly trilen big game in 20 pound test good luck.i got the same rod with a abu 6500.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a heck of a rig. Ley us know how that hybrid line does.

4. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like you got a like setup.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It will work...now lets see the fish...good luck

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sounds like a good set up hope you catch a lot of big ones with it:001:

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    sounds like a killer setup! i wouldn't mind haven a setup like that my self.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, you'll like that combo a lot, I think. I have several of those rods and have zero complaints about them for catfishing. They are very tough rods for all-round fishing. I've hooked and landed some big fish under high current conditions in salt water, even, and they've done very well. That penn reel is a good choice for big fish, too.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a nice combo, now start sharing some fishing stories and pictures!

10. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    thanks for the opinion guys! its workin great! :)

11. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    sounds like u know what like...,,, good luck,, you'll have to let us know how u make out with the new rods....

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your rod and reel I have never owned either,but they seem to have a large satisfied and happy following.I have Yo-Zuri Hybrid line spooled on a Okuma Coronado CD-90 spinning reel spool.It is rated at 60 lb.,.031 in.dia.with a 79.3 lb.avg. breaking strength.This spool and line is for fishing around shell on pilings,rock jetties,wrecks and such.What is amazing is the low memory that lets this line act and handle like a much smaller line,yet stands up to cuts and abrasions well.I also like the 12 lb.,.013 in.dia.with a 19.5 lb.avg.breaking strength and the 6 lb.,.010 in.dia.with a 11.9 lb.avg.breaking strength.I hope you are as happy with the 30 lb.which is .023 in.dia with a 41.3 avg.breaking strength.Please let us know how your rig worked out and how you like it.peewee-williams

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    While I like 50lb power pro on my other rigs, the yo zuri appears to be working great so Im leavin it on here- don't fix it if it aint broke theory
    Rod and reel seem great , no problems so far :)

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think the Yo-Zuri is a great line to use if you do not wish to use a leader.It seems to be more abrasion resistant than a lot of Mono that I have bought as leader material or even pre rigged leaders.What is your opinion,or did you get into a fishing situation where you would notice?I think the line makes great leaders.Thanks,peewee-williams

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    have started using mono/copolymer for my leader to my sinker and braid to my hook... Havent had any issues with it so far

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sounds like you know your stuff so it must be a great set up! Enjoy!