New gear & tackle for new boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by captmarty, May 7, 2008.

1. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND I THOUGHT I KNEW A GOOD BIT ABOUT FISHING BUT I DIDN'T AFTER LEARNING ALL THE THINGS YOU FINE FISHERMAN HAVE TAUGHT ME! I AM SELLING MY BOAT TO GET A BIGGER AND BETTER BOAT FOR MYSELF! I AM READY FOR A STEERING WHEEL AND LIVE WELL AND ALL THE GOODIES WITH IT!! WHAT OTHER ITEMS WOULD U RECOMMEND FOR THE BOAT?? I AM GOING TO START FROM SCRATCH AND HAVE THIS BOAT RIGHT FOR CATFISHING! WHAT TACKLE, RODS, REELS, AND ANYTHING ELSE U CAN THINK OF WOULD U GET IF U WERE STARTING OVER????

CAPTMARTY

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Of course it all comes down to $$$

A good rod rack and rod holders are vital. Check the Member Library and Boat Modification section. Wonderful stuff there to help you going my man. Give you lots of ideas and such.

I personally use driftmasters, but there are many brands and types on the market for you to take a peak at.

As for rods and reels... that's all about preference and kind of fishing you are going to do. Check out our sponsors... I have heard great things about the Catfish Safari rods and for the money, I think it will be a great investment or at least to look really into.

I own a Black and Blue tackle rod custom 7.6' and so far it has not given me any problems either.

Reels also are a by taste.... abu garcias make fine products. Can pick up 6500s for an affordable price that will get you by pretty fair. I personally like my okuma baitcast with line counter. Works well for me with a 30# dacron flourescent color line. Haven't had any problems with it at all.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Wow, never thought about it that way! :eek:oooh: What would I do different????

1) I'd start out by purchasing quality fishing gear; Good quality rods and reels. I would recommend either Catfish Safari (BOC sponsor), or Surge Elite rods, they are very good rods at a very good price. Then I would recommend a Abu Garcia 7000 series reel, or Shimano Tekota 600 or Penn for reels. IMHO you get what you pay for, buy quality first, that way they will last you a long time and survive the abuse and use of big catfishing!

2) I would then put the rest into your boat. Quality fishfinder, for example a Lowrance or Humminbird product. Something with GPS to mark all your spots that you end up catching the hogs out of! I would also get the maximum allowable horse power motor for my boat, can't ever have to much horse power in my opinion, you won't regret it! :wink:

Those are the only things I can think of right now that I would have done different.

Good luck with getting your set up ready! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress, and don't forget the photos! :wink: We all enjoy the photos!!

Welcome to the best website on the WWW!! You'll love it here!!

4. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    HEY-THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT GUYS! EVERYBODY ON HERE IS AWESOME AND I APPRECIATE IT! I WILL BE SURE TO INCLUDE PHOTOS! I HAVE SOME PHOTOS OF MY BOAT THAT I HAVE NOW THAT I AM GOING TO OUT ON HERE AND THEN I WILL PUT SOME OF MY NEW BOAT ON HERE WHEN I GET IT-WHICH WON'T BE LONG! AS SOON AS I SELL MY BOAT I AM GETTING A NEW 1!!