New gear, 7000C3, and a PENN 330GTi

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Sean, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haven't tried them out yet, but I plan on going flathead hunting in the near future. 7000C3 on an Ugly Stick Tiger, and the 330GTi going on a 7' Nitestick. This is my long term fishing investment, let me know what you guys think about these rigs. I have gotten a ton of good advice on these forums and I thank you all.

Oh and I bought my father a 7' Nitestick and a new PENN 209m for it for his birthday. :D Hope to be down in OK testing it out with him this winter. :p

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    :thumbsup: My opinion is you bought the two best big reels on the market for trophy sized flats. What action is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger? If it isn't a medium heavy I would take it back and trade it for one. Tiger Stiks are great for the biguns, I really like the superoir strength of the Tiger Stiks although I believe you could pump in any sized flats with the 7' Nite Stick but you will have a longer battle than with the Tiger Stiks. the Tiger Stik will also turn a big flathead your way quicker when he is heading for cover. Both great rods but the medium heavy action Tiger Stiks can skip nice sized flats across the top of the water with heavy line, the drag cranked down and a huge reel like the 330GTi. Only thing I would do different is put the monster 330GTi on the Ugly Stick Tiger if it is a BWC-2202 medium heavy action and the 7000C3 on the 7' medium heavy Nite Stick. The medium heavy Tiger Stik is rated for 30-60lb. test line and 3/4 to 8oz. casting weight. I would match the strongest reel to the strongest rod. The Penns are workhorses and take some weight to cast them long distances with heavy line. Use the Tiger Stik and 330GTi when you are casting big baits or fishing in heavy current with large sinkers. If you got the 7 foot one piece Nite Stick like the one I have it is rated for 15-40lb. test line and 1 to 4oz. casting weight, it would be a nice match for the 7000C3 and will cast long distance with less weight. The stock drag on the Penn is really strong and nice and smooth but I would think about replacing the 7000C3 drag washers with a set of Xtreme Smoothie drag washers. You have already made a considerable $$$ investment and the drag washers including the polished metal washers are less than $20.00 shipped to beef up the weaker and sometimes sticky Ambassadeur drag system. They are easy to install, just make sure to clean up all the oil and grease in your drag and install the new drag washers dry. I own and use all the rods and reels you mentioned, the last thing I want is a sticky drag system on an Ambassadeur busting my line on the flathead of a lifetime. Smoothie drags are in all my Ambassadeurs. Of course these are just my opinions and what works best for me. ;) Good luck with your new rods and reels and the important thing is making it to fish with your father, hope you both land some monster flats.
    Abu

3. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm very happy with my purchase, I can't wait to get a hawg. I'm going to take your advice and put the penn on the ugly stick. The ugly stick is a M action 2 piece, model BWC 2201-2, 7'0", rated for 10-50# line. I will probably buy a new rod sometime within the next year for my boy, he's 9 years old and I think hooking him into a hawg would be the time of his life. When I get a new rod I'll probably pass this one to him. I have the PENN spooled with 30# Berkly Big game, and the abu is spooled with 17# P-Line. Actually still waiting on my nitestick to arrive, ordered it last Sunday from catfish connection. Heh, my wife has been giving me dirty looks all week, had to take her out to a nice lunch yesterday.