New gadget for freeezing bait

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bow tek, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bow tek

bow tek New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My daughter and I went bait fishing yesterday at uniontown dam. We caught alot of skips. They were young ones about 6 or 7 inches long. We would put them on ice until we had enough to bag. Then I used this new battery operated vacumm sealer that zip lok makes. My wife bought it for me and it works great. You can bag and seal them right there while your fishing. I thought you guys might like it.

Attached Files:

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Congrats on the Skips and I have seen that vacuum sealer before. I think I even put a post up about it back when they first became available. How does it do ??

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got 2 of them .One for the kitchen the other just for me and my bait.And thier cheap.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've owned a Handi-Vac for about a year now. Here's my opinion. It is definitely handy. It works....more or less. The hand held vacuum pump has a cup that you have to set over the valve built into each bag. Sometimes you begin the vacuuming process immediately, and sometimes you have to fiddle around for what seems forever before you get a good fit and the air begins to be vacuumed out of the bag. The bags have zip fasteneres, which means that you don't have to cut part of the bag off to open it; but, it also means that you don't get as effective a seal as a melted seam. I have had the vacuum fail on a couple of bags in my freezer. It didn't hurt anything, but it completely eliminated the whole concept of vacuum sealing for longer lasting food. For those who want to use one to vacuum seal baitfish, they'll like the little 'catch-depression' right behind the cup; it's purpose is to catch any liquid before it goes into the Handi-Vac itself. It's not huge, but I guess it would hold a couple of tablespoons of liquid. Final result? While I've still got the Handi-Vac for use in the field, I bought a regular type vacuum sealer that runs off 110vac to use at home.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My wife said I need one of those. I think she had in mind using it too. She said she was getting it for me though so the bait wouln't be giving off so much aroma. Thanks for the report.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a nice product. How expensive are the bags and do they really hold up?

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i like that its portable, gota get 1,thanks for the info.

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I havn't used one for bait, by my wife is freezing most of our stuff in those now. Really cuts the freezer burn down to nothing if you get a good suck on it.

We did finally have to change battery's on ours. Wish they'd come out with an AC power adapter version.

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have seen those too but I believe (and correct if I am wrong) the cost of the bags make it cost prohibitive. I just bought 20' of vaccum bag roll for $12 and that makes 40 6"x11" bags or .30 cents per bag (ouch thats expensive). No matter how you cut it these bags are not cheap, unless you buy in bulk.:confused2:

10. bow tek

bow tek New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm not sure about the price of bags but I'm sure they are a little pricey. I just like the fact that you can put it in the boat and be done with preparing your bait before you get home.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, the Handi-Vac bags are cheaper than the regular type made from rolls. A gallon bag is roughly 12" x 16". I found a site that offered 2 rolls of 11" wide bag material for $20. This should make 28 gallon-size bags, each costing $.71. I found a site that offered a box of 9 gallon-size Handi-Vac bags for $4.69, which is about $.52 per bag. But you can only buy the Handi-Vac bags in quart or gallon size, whereas the rolls let you make whatever size you want.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My wife and I was in Lexington and stopped in at a Target store and picked up 2 and 4 boxes of bags.. The bags were $2.49 for 12-1 qt.bags or 8 1-gal.bags. Didn't think it was too bad.. Didn't do the math on it per bag or anything.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I geuss I am cheap I just reuse ziplocks the kids took there lunch in and double or triple them up and use em over and over .

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My kids are grown and don't bring their lunch bags home no more. I figure the Zip-Lock vacum bags can be reused. I got 12-1qt. and 8-1 gal. bags and the hand pump for bait. cost less than 10 bucks...6 or 8 small skippies in the qt. size and a couple of big ones in each of the gal. size. Good bunch of bait and I will pick up some more bags as needed. Qt. size figured out to about $.21 per bag, Gal. size figures out to about $.31 Not to priceie I don't think.

15. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I too have one of the vacume pumps. I found the bags made for it were too pricey. What I do is take a regular zip lock type freezer bag, load it up and poke or cut a small hole in it anywhere. I have attached a small diameter piece of hose/tubing that fits on the nipple of the pump. Insert the hose/tubing and suck out the air. Have a piece of freezer tape ready and when air is out, pull out hose/tubing and seal small hole. I put items in freezer right away. This system works most of the time, but I believe the zip seal fails once in a while. Make sure when using the tape to seal it without any wrinkles around it. Give it a try!!!

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'll try the hose/tubing gadget and regular bags

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I got my Handi-Vac, I got the bright idea that I could use my wet/dry shop vac instead of the hand vacuum. That would give me greater suction, and I wouldn't have to worry at all about sucking up liquids. But, placing the end of the hose over the valve on the bag didn't suck out any air at all. I tried and tried for 10-15 minutes to get it to work, and never could. And I still can't figure out why it won't work. :0a36:

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Dang that is puzzling looks, like it should work.:0a28:

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Is there some kind of self closing valve in the bags where you hook up? Haven't seen any myself.

20. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I bought the sealy (set it and forget it) vacum pack. I had good luck with freezing my skipjack last fall. I caught a bunch of shad yesterday so i got it back out to seal some shad to put back for the winter and I couldn't get the air sucked out of the bag. I tried just putting one shad in the bag and it still wouldn't work right.anybody ever had trouble getting it to work.Ended up just putting the shad in regular ziplock bags.