New four cycle engines

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by thunderchicken, Aug 11, 2006.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Hi. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new 4 cycle engines? How are they in terms of dependability, maintenance, and fuel economy? I have heard they run quieter than 2 cycle ones but don't know much more than that. I don't need a huge kicker, just one with enough power to get up on a plane for a few minutes, prolly a 40 to 50 hp would do fine. Also would be interested if they are any good at powering down to troll? Would appreciate your input. Thanks.
    :cool2:

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't have a 4 stroke but want one badly.

I have watched all the "E-Tec" Propaganda films about 2-cycles getting on plane faster than 4 cycles, but I don't care about that.

I talk to every boat owner that I see that has a 4 cycle motor. Most would never have anything else. Some say it has less power than his previous motor. All say they idle smooth and quiet.

The reason I want one is because of the quietness, the ability to idle smoothly and not putting as much oil in the water.

They have negatives also. 25% heavier and about 30% more expensive.

But, as soon as I can get the cash, I will have one on my boat.

Robert

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Have A 70 HP, 4-Stroke Suzuki On My Boat, You Couldn't Get It Away From Me For Anything !!. It Is Unbelievably Quiet, Fuel Economy Is Great, Starts On The First Crank & Is Yet To Lose One Drop Of Oil Between Servicing:cool2:

It Not Only Has Impressed Myself But Most Of The People That Go With Me. The Only Ones That Weren't Impressed Were The Ones Who Already Own Them:lol: :lol: :lol:

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    I Have A 90 Horse 4 Stroke Mercury On A 17-1/2 Deep V.it Is Quieter Than 2 Strokes.you Do Get Better Gas Milage As Far As Dependability This Is My First Summer With It So Time Will Tell.my Opinion, I Love It.it Will Run About 35 Mph But I Do Have A Heavy Boat 40 Gallon Gas Tank.as Far As Going Up On Plane It Might Take A Little Longer But Not Enough To Really Matter In My Opinion.no More Mixing Gas Either Wooohooo

5. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    I have ran two strokes for a long time and now have 4 stokes of 2 different boats. One yamaha and one suzuki. I like them both... but I would highly recommend to make sure it is electronic fuel injection. I had to return a carb 4-stroke b/c it was a lot of trouble to start on cold mornings. Great fuel economy, no smoke like the two stroke when trolling or idiling. I do not notice much difference on take off...I would say make sure you do not undersize the motor. 90hp on a 20ft aluminum-awesome! 115 yamaha on 22ft pontoon...love it!

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Sorry, I Forgot To Mention That Mine Is The Fuel Injected Version & Yes I Totally Agree That I Wouldn't Want The Carb. Version

7. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 4 stroke 115 yamaha and love it! Great on gas and does very well.

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I weld on boats so I am in and out of a few different places all the time and from what I pick up talking to these diferent places I would not owen one. 3 out of 4 dealers say they 4 stroke motors spend more time in a shop for repaires than on the water. no joke they are much quieter and better on gas. and they are also about twice the weight of the equal size in a two stroke. this is just my two cents and is an opinion only I do not mean to upset anyone. I am only passing info I have picked up talking with friends whom own and or work at boat dealers.