New Forum-4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Once again Catfish Commando has heard you and responded to member request for this forum. Please use it for all your truckin' and repair threads. :boss:

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks. I'm sure some of us will get some use out of it.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thanks guys. It wasn't my idea but I think it's a good addition.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    thanks guys!!! another great add

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    it was mine! hell ya!:smile2:

6. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm sure i will get some use out of it. great addition.

7. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    if anyone needs any technical help on your cars or trucks you can pm me, ive worked at gm dealerships since 1981 and can prolly help with about anything, just got done putting a new crankshaft in a 79 caddy for a freind of mine today , id have rather gone fishin but oh well

8. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I have a simple question
    I change the oils in the trany and diffs on my 93 nisson 4/4
    now the truck does not want to shift into frist or second until the trans. gets warm the gear lub I used was 80/150
    was it too heavy?
    bewell CRMULE

9. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes sir i think that transmission should have a automatic type fluid in it. i did an oil change on a ranger 5 sp. trans today and it was real stiff shifting and it had 80-90 gear oil in it. after i changed it...........it shifted like butter.:wink::wink:

bill.

10. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    This site should come in handy when i break something which is usually once a month. :embarassed::haha:

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What kind of trucks does everyone have? I have an old 89 PR ram. It was first year fuel injected. {junk} Now it's 800 c.f.m. carbureted, H.E.I. Ignition, 727 3 speed. sittin on a police interceptor 318. [318 w/360 heads] It'll damn near jump off the ground if you stand on it in low gear. with gas like it was. It's not a daily driver. It's a hauler/playtoy..When I did the swap, since I just put a new mopar fuel pump in it, I kept the electric fuel pump and wired the ground side through an oil pressure switch. And added a regulator.
    :crazy:

12. Got a '85 Chevy K-10. 350 c.i. Fuel injected, 3 spd Auto, 4x4, Locker in rear, posi in front, locking hubs, heavy 6" lift springs, 33" kickers, Headers w/dual converters/flowmaters comin' out behind the rear tires w/rain flappers.(The flappers get plenty of attention at redlights and gas stations!). The body is fire engine red and not a blemish in it.:smile2: Underneath the cancer is on it's way.:sad2: I love it but it's gotta go. The kids are gettin' bigger. Lookin for a Suburban.

13. Fish'N'dark

Fish'N'dark New Member

State:
    Garnett, Kansas
    First of all, I have a 2003 GMC sonoma ZR2 or high rider they are actually called in GMC's. The encoder motor went out and instead of replacing for around $200 I chose to convert the truck to fully manual 4x4 for $65 and love it. No more vacumm line or electrical headaches. Now my real problem is however, my daughters 1999 s10 blazer broke down on her at college so we had it towed home and I am really stumped on what is wrong with it. My first thought of course was it ran out of gas, so I put some in it. Second, the battery is completely shot so replaced it with a new one. Now I have plenty of power but will not start. The only code that came up on it for me was the map sensor so I replaced it and now it doesn't show any codes. Oh ya, I replace the fuel pump in it this past fall and I know it is kicking on with the key, I can hear it and it has pressure under the hood. Although I haven't checked the pressure yet, need to find a test guage. I also pulled the number one plug wire off and it has fire. One last thing to tell is, the second thing I checked after the gas was the oil and of course it was a couple quarts low so I topped it off. I am completely lost, it has gas and fire but wont start. I thought maybe the timeing chain but I did get it to start once and it sounded good but once I touched the gas pedal, it died instantly. I can smell the gas under the hood so I sure it is getting gas, maybe to much? Oh ya I almost forgot, she was pulling up to a stop light and started to stop then tried to give it gas because she says she slowed to soon; which I find hard to believe, she does hit the brakes untill the cross walk usually. She said she lost everything and the check gauges light came on. She didn't look to see what they were doing, maybe low oil pressure, don't know. If anyone has a suggestion I am open to try anything. Otherwise I am going to have to take it to a shop. I'm not really very mechanical on these newer vehicles but try the basics. Please help. Thank you

14. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    shoot some starting fluid in the intake. If it tries to start then I'd be suspicios of it not getting gas. Check the connection to the cpi spider unit. If it has a good connection then I'd be suspicious of the cpi spider unit itself. Get a gauge and check it. You might have a clogged fuel filter or screen in the tank.

15. Fish'N'dark

Fish'N'dark New Member

State:
    Garnett, Kansas
    Thanks Jeff for the reply. I know that its getting gas and actually think that it's flooding its self because you can smell the gas. But I do plan on spraying a little starting flood in to see if it's getting enough pressure. I know it's getting fire but not sure if at the correct time. Thanks for the advice, I'm open to all suggestions. I'll try anything at this point, I think that we are going to get running then sell it to get her a little car with better mpg.

16. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    Oh crap. You probably got a bad fuel pressure regulator. It's attached to the cpi. I'd replace the cpi since it comes with a new regulator. If it's flooding change the oil once you get it fixed. You probably have gas in the oil. Mark might be around again to chime in. Start a new thread about your situation and maybe the moderators will move these replies over and more people will comment. You can get a good deal on a new or rebuilt cpi from fuelparts.com . there are some good videos on youtube on this subject.

17. MH Hawker

MH Hawker Member

State:
    WV
    My old 97 S 10 rolled over and dieded a few weeks ago and my wife sort of insisted I up grade a bit. Thought about a SUV and didnt like what I saw so I ended up with a 2005 Silverado LTZ 4 X 4 crew cab with the 5.3, Aint broke any thing yet but I added a set of bed rails and a black diamond plate truck box and one of the SS grill insets a new fog light switch and a K & N air filter, a hitch and ball and 7 to 4 wire converter plug, a tow strap and a few other odds and ins and changed out the factory stereo to a SD card head unit, that was fun it has the Bose system with a sub woofer but it sounds real good. That about covers it.

Attached Files: