New fly fisherman

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by LiquidSteel, Sep 6, 2007.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive recently been learning how to flyfish. I bought my dad a rig years ago, but he has never used it. So, this summer I decided to give it a whirl and see how long it takes before one gives up. Well, I met up with a guy here in Omaha, and he has been giving me pointers and helping me as much as he can. We will call him Rodger.

Tonight we met up at a place called 2 Rivers State Park, and I didnt feel like using my fly rod, instead I used a spinning reel with hotdog and a circle hook. Ive been hitting cats like crazy out there with this combination. So just before I decide to pack it up and leave, Rodger hooks into this very nice channel cat. It ended up weighin in at 17pounds 8 ounces, and was 34 inches long. Needless to say, I will be using my flyrod in the very near future to catch more cats.

2. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

TRY DOING IT ARTIFICIAL MY SUGGESTION IS CRAWFISH PATTERS IN 2-3 INCH RANGE ITS A RIOT I HAVE CAUGHT THEM WHILE TARGETING SMALLIES IN A LITTLE LOCAL RIVER. HAVE FUN WITH THE "FLYIN CATS":wink:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish.

4. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Welcome to fly rod fishing. It is another level of fishing experence. Good luck

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have caught trout and blugill on a fly rod but not a cat. You could always and this might sound crazy, use a bobber and use some cut bait in the shallows.