new floor for my pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by smokey869, Feb 5, 2008.

1. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    ok i have a question for you guys, i have an older 24 ft pontoon and the floor is needing redone badly, ive been doing some checking on treated plywood for the decking and a guy i work with, his son has redone several older sail boats and he has used some new plywood that is made out of recycled plastic, he was told it would never rot and was very little weight difference and was a lot cheaper than treated wood, has anyone heard of or used this ? any help would be appreciated thanks :confused2:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got an older 24 footer too and have taken it completely apart.

I'll say this. My pontoon relies on the floor as a structural member.
    Plastic plywood?
    I'd have to have a comparison of its shear, compression, and lateral strengths compared to plywood.

There aint a thing wrong with wood. The way a pontoon is contstructed there is no wood that doesnt have airlflow around it.
    You can take exterior grade plywood and make it last a long long time. Probally alot longer then you'll ever need it to.
    The key is the installation.
    Installation is why there is such a huge problem with rotted floors in boats.

3. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    I re-built a 24' Lowe in 2001. Pound for pound PLYWOOD is the strongest boat building material available. A 5/8" or 3/4" floor sealed with epoxy or polyester resin is a pretty good bet. I did inquire about the plastic stuff you refered to but I was steered away from it for some reason. I don't remember why , I am nearing 62. The original floor lasted 16 years. My son sold the boat when I moved to Washington. I didn't want to put a pontoon boat in Puget Sound. I would guess the new floor ,sealed on top and all edges would last at least 16 years more.

4. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    I have owned 1979 24 ft Weeres fixer upper for about 9 months now. I too have been looking at the plastic wood as a replacement floor material. Locally the plastic wood has been used extensively on floating docs. The surface appearance, in reference to aging, has been a little disappointing to me. but structural integrity seems to be satisfactory. I have never heard of actual 4ft by 8ft sheets being produced made of plastic wood. only 1in by 4,5, or 6in lumber at various lengths. ,,,,, My plans include using some of the plastic wood to add a small deck on the front of my pontoon, covering the bow ends of the toons and vice versa on the stern.

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
  6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm going with an exterior plywood because I'm going to opt for sealing with epoxy instead of having a floor that soaks up water and moisture and gains weight or loses weight when its dry.
    I'll lay some 6oz glass on the top of the floor to bullet proof it and probally put down a vinyl flooring.
    Second reason, has anybody looked at 3/4" treated plywood in the stores?
    I haven't seen much I'd build a dog house with. Thats some ratty stuff and full of voids. So full of water it needs to be racked up and dried a few months before attempting to use it.

7. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Dave you can find info on composite flooring at pontoonstuff.com.The stuff they sell is 185.00 a sheet and my 20 ft pontoon would take 5 sheets.They also have a forum where you can see pics and ask questions.One guy completely restored a 24 footer and he has a zillion pictures.Im thinking about redoing mine in the future just not sure what im going to use yet for the floor.

8. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    Mark, I am glad you don't like p/t plywood. Rumor has it that the stuff eats metal that it comes in contact with. A good quality exterior ply like your thinking would be great. Dry fit all your sheets then coat with Gluvit. If you were to lay 2 layers of fiberglass cloth with epoxy on the deck and then apply 2 coats of "TUFF COAT" I think you would be happy. I spent 3 years [ off & on ] helping at a boat shop, Rod would not allow p/t plywood in the door. Nothig sticks to its oily surface. Good luck Jerry

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its hard to get a good looking job out of treated anything.

I'm not a Gluvit fan.
    I have two epoxies I really like.
    Systems 3 and Marine Epoxy. Marine epoxy is the cheaper one and there is more I like about it then Systems 3.

I like System 3 for support. They have a full support and have really put alot of engineering into their products and have come out with a whole big line of boat building products. One of my favorites is Quickfair.
    And no epoxy spreader should mix a thimble full of epoxy without the Systems 3 epoxy bible. A must have. Very helpful in understanding epoxy and how to work with it.