new floor/conversion to a fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fishmonster13, Oct 29, 2009.

1. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i rebuilt this boat last august , took me about four weeks to do. i got the boat for free and it needed every piece of wood replaced in it . so i got out the sawzall and grinders and went to work and removed all the old wood down to the hull, had to cut out the splashwell to get to the transom . this process was very itchy and the old foam was hard to get out and was completely waterlogged. then the fun began putting it all back together. i built new stringers out of 1x6's and tabbed them and then completely fiberglassed them in. i also took care of the transom at his time at the transom and stingers are all connected and boxed in around the bilge area. then it as on to the floor which i glued and screwed then tabbed all sides . i then laid out the fiberglass over the floor and wetted it out with the epoxy. i then built the casting deck wich also supports the consoles and has two hatches in it all of this was glued and screwed together tabbed and then fiberglssed over. and then it was on to the motor i rebuilt the carbs and installed a new water pump and changed the gear oil. then it 's been on the water since with only one problem which was a 4 year old battery that died on me.

Attached Files:

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    man you did a number on that boat,good work.reps at ya!

3. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    My gosh Matt, that was a ton of work...had to be a labor of love. Turned out wonderful. WTG :cool2:

4. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    thanks guys. the crazy thing about it was I did it in 4 weeks and I work 50 + hours a week in 4 days it was a mad rush to the finish, hated being off the water for that long . don't think i'll do another though its tin boats for me after this one.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You have some talent brother. Good work!!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Good job.
    Getting the old out is by far the worst part.

7. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very nice job. Looks like a lot of hard work. It really turned out great. Reps to ya for sharing it with us.

8. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    yes it is the worst ,the best part though was putting in the water and parking the truck and coming back and have it still floating:big_smile::big_smile:

9. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    You do nice work, 2 questions , how did you bed your stringers?, and what type of finish did you put on your floor?

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Nice job. I have an old chrysler boat with a cracked transom. You're welcome to come fix it for me.

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    no thanks , really its not that hard to do, just kinda messy in the tear down and got to keep yourself covered up good to keep the fiberglass out.:big_smile:

12. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i used epoxy mixed with saw dust type stuff only it was plastic of some sort from west systems, the floor is just chopped strand mat(fiberglass) and then i just painted it the csm is pretty rough the way it is so theres pretty good traction on it even when wet