New flathead catfisherman in Michigan

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by uapipefitter, Feb 11, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Howdy out there. looking outside in central michigan waiting for warmer days.Great site and great outlet for us new guys to pick-up information on fishing such an elusive advesary(flathead). Have been fishing for them know for three years to no evail. In the grand and the maple trying all the secrets of the greats before me. Afraid once i catch one the quest will be over. Took my best channel last year out of the manistee, 27 incher on half a rock bass. Keep up the great postes and i'll keep everyone up to date on my progress for the hunt.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good luck! I know people who have fished solidly for a couple of years and havent seen a flathead and others who catch a fish of a life time the first time out. I think when finally you do get your fish it will be a sweet victory.

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    good luck,im sure you get a few helpful tips to get the flattie you want

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    A Big Ol Welcome Trent to the BOC. Were Glad You Joined.J.D.
    :byebye:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome aboard!!! You will find this site VERY useful in your endeavor.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Trent you don't want to catch a flathead. It will just ruin you for the rest of your fishing days. From then on every other fish you catch you will think "Is this too big for bait". Naaw, now I need a dozen more, lol. They might be hard to find at first, but afterwards the rewards are worth it. I spent 2 years catching flats under 10 lbs , maybe 3 yrs. Back then I fished 3 or 4 nights a week . Spent lots of time weeding out the unproductive water lol. Caught a flat 1 outta 7 trips, but I was hooked lol. Now I catch one every 9 outta 10 trips, and I don't get excited till they are over 35 pounds. Just use the biggest bait you can catch (10 to 15 inches) and keep hammering those log jams. They are in there.

7. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Mo.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Trent - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: :0a23:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome aboard trent!

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Trent, welcome to the BOC!

12. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Welcome to the BOC Trent. You will find all kinds of things on flatheads and blues,channels in here. And you really dont believe that the quest will be over when you catch your first Flatty.LOL That will only make you want to get that bigger flatty. Good luck when it warms up

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    welcome to the boc. i too quest for the holy grail, flatheads,. the more you read here, the sweeter the journey. Knights of the catfish hole, unite....:cool2:

14. ShipwreckDiver

ShipwreckDiver New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I fish the Huron River in Ypsilanti and catch some fairly large channel cats routinely. Does anybody know if the Huron has flats? I lost 6 fish last year on 30lb test line with adequate drag set and I still didn't have a prayer at landing them. Also, I'd like to find another catsman in my area to fish with here on the river if anybody is near me. I fish from the bank on a great stretch of river. I'm new to this site and appreciate all the tips I've read. It's increased my luck greatly this year.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trent Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to reading your post.:big_smile:

16. Rhinoliner

Rhinoliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. I have never caught a flathead. I think I will make that a new goal. Some of the avatar pics on this site are really getting me motivated.