New Flathead catfish Report For Smith Mountain Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatsNstripers, Aug 23, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Getting back into some Flathead fishing after being back from the saltwater. And the bite has been Good these past several weeks. I've been focusing on shallow water. Looking no deeper than 15ft, and finding them as shallow as 2 ft. I'm looking for natural areas, meaning, i'm not looking for rip rap banks or clean bottoms. I'll look for natural shoreline, structure in the water, such as laydowns and logs, rocks. I want to also have a point or bend in the area. Cuts in the bank aswell.

For bait, i've been using mostly Live gizzard shad. you cant go to big of a bait. You'll be surprised what a 10lb flathead will eat. Also I've been using cut shad and some live sunfish.

Most of the fish have been average size for smith mountain catching most flathead 8-15lbs. with several in the higher teens. with several fish in the 20 to higher 20lb range.

It seems around 12:30 at night is the begining of the dead period, with the bite turning slow. Before that time I'm hitting 2-3 areas. producing 2-6fish from each area on a good night...

Heres a few pics..

Attached Files:

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    And a few more pics. I forgot to add, We've been catching several big channels as well.. With a few going 12lbs, largest at 31.5inches...

Attached Files:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Travis thanks for the review. Congrats on the nice catches of Flatheads. Enjoyed.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks Travis, as usual a very good report, keep em' coming, we enjoy your input!

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Travis, you sure do know how to produce a great fishing report! Thanks for the great pictures...I'm sure that you had a great time.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish! You all are killing 'em.

7. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent report Travis:wink: I always look forward to your fishing results and report!!!!

Randy