new flathead catfish record?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Brian D, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The wildlife departments web site says a new record has been caught,but we have to wait for a press release.Well its killin me ,does anybody have info on this?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just a state record we don't let the big boys down your way we keep them to ourself.

PS it was caught in the Poteau River and it was 76 even and 51 1/2 long and a girth of 58 1/4 and it was on R&R

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like a beast! I'd like to hear the story on it...cant find anything in the press just yet. Any idea when they are supposed to release?

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Catfish, Flathead 76-0 51 1/2 58 1/4 Poteau River 6-13-09 Tommy Couch

That's the info I pulled off the dept's website.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Chris I was really hoping ti was you that got the record when I heard that the old one got broke. Oh well makes you set you goals higher now, now get off the computer and go get that new record.

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I wish my name was behind it also. :big_smile: When my name is on there it will be 107 pounds and beat the unrestricted record in Oklahoma. I can dream....:cool2:

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Copied from the Dept of wildlife.

Seventy-six-pound flathead catfish sets new Oklahoma state record

When Tommy Couch of Howe was reeling in his 76-lb. state record flathead catfish from the Poteau River June 13, he just knew it was going to be a carp.
    “He stayed right along the bank and right along the bottom,” Couch said, similar to carp he has landed in the past. “When his tail finally came up — that’s when I realized what he was.”
    On the bank, someone with Couch screamed, “That’s a record! That’s a record.”
    And it was. Couch’s fish outweighs the previous 72-lb., 8-oz. record flathead catfish caught by Ron Cantrell in 2004 at El Reno Lake.
    Couch was fishing the old Poteau River channel below the Wister Dam when he landed his state record. He was not having much luck using night crawlers, so he switched to red worms and caught the fish just after 1 p.m. The catfish measured 51 1/2” in length and had a girth of 58 1/4.”
    Couch was using a Ambassadeur 5000 reel on a Master Spector 10’ graphite rod. His 20 lb. test line was rigged with a 2-0 Eagle Claw hook.
    Couch said he has never had a fish fight on the line quite like his record fish — or like a catfish in general, which is one reason he recommends catfish angling to other sportsmen.
    Couch is an avid catfish angler, and he said “anytime the barometer is rising” is a good time to be casting for catfish.
    Flathead catfish are popular among Oklahoma anglers, as are channel catfish and blue catfish. All three catfish are readily available in the state’s lakes, ponds and rivers, and they can be caught using a variety of methods, including rod and reel, trotlining, juglining, limblining and noodling.
    Couch had initially considered donating the fish to an aquarium facility, but it died before he found a location that would accept it. He and friends decided to eat the fish and have already sampled the meat.
    Don Groom, northeast region fisheries biologist for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, verified the fish for the Wildlife Department.
    “Poteau River is known for producing large flatheads,” Groom said. “This is a great fish, and we congratulate him for his catch.”
    Couch’s flathead catfish also qualifies as a lake record for Wister Lake. To view other lake record fish, log on to the Wildlife Department’s Web site at wildlifedepartment.com.
    For a complete list of record fish and the procedures regarding certifying state record fish, consult the current “Oklahoma Fishing Guide” or log on to wildlifedepartment.com. Anglers who believe they may have hooked a record fish must weigh the fish on an Oklahoma State Department of Agriculture certified scale, and the weight must be verified by a Wildlife Department employee.

****Photo*****

http://lake-record.ou.edu/fishsite/public/fishView.php?id=726

9. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Hahaha, way to go... eat the state record...

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THATS A NICE FISH.AT THE CABELA'S IN TEXAS THEY HAVE A YELLOW CAT THAT LOOKS TO WELL OVER A 100#.

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    GONNA TRY TO UPLOAD SOME PICS.