New Flathead catfish fisherman

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DensSang, Mar 9, 2006.

1. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Any tips on flathead fishing i have a shakespeare tidewater reel and a Bass pro IM-6 7foot rod will those do the job

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Really it mostly depends on the action of the rod, and the gears and speed of the reel. If the rod is a hevy or medium action but a big hefty rod it will work good for up to pobably 75+ pounders. i have a shakespere that i have the most luck on outta all my poles is a 6' tiger...something medium action and i caught my biggest fish on it last year with 25 pound test, the flathead weighed 35lbs or so. Hope this answered ur question a little better.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    If the rod is medium heavy with at least 25lb. line will be good, but use what you have and see. And welcome to the best catfishing site on the net!

4. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Where do u live at Densang? If you tell us that maybe we could help you with some locations to fish for flatties.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My main tip is to be paitent..Trophy flatheads dont feed everyday..You need to pick a prime location, on a river I would look for a bend, with snags in it...Fish the deep water in the day, and move to shallow water at night..use fresh cut bait or live bait..good luck!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What flatheadhunter said!

Flathead are fish of the big rivers and if you find snags you will find them.

OPINION: Snags, BIG fish and lite line :confused: ?

7. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    What the other guys said,your gear will do just fine.Lots of cats are caught on zebco 33's every year.Use good bait and don't give up easy;)

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think that should do alright, but I known people with a tidewater and they dont cast for nothing.

9. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    so true patience is the key

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Your outfit should work... Just takes time and patience...:crying: