New Fishing Spots

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Flamekeeper, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If you were going to help someone with their catfishing skills,

? #1- What would you look for when fishing 1-20 acre's ponds and small lakes, you've never fished before as you walked the banks?

? #2- With what bait, How would you fish that area?

1- I'd start with rock flats.

3-5" bluegills pinned on / or suspended just above the flats just (10-15') on the inside of the outer edge where it drops into deeper water.

2- Ledges with steep banks that go down into the lake.

live 2-4" bluegills( for Flatheads and Blues) Cut bait/crayfish(for Channels), suspended at different depths working your way out from the bank.

Say, Casting down the bank, start at 4' deep@3' from the bank. slowly bouncing/working the bait back down the bank, then adjusting your depth if no hits- another 2' deeper and go 6' from the bank and so on until you bottom out on the flat. If the fish are there you should connect.

3- Stumps and fallen trees & tops.

Bluegill heads on bottom, smaller bluegills suspended with fins removed on a bigger hook to slow them down around the tops and trees. Cut bait suspended as well.

4- Open water.

On several different rods, set suspended live bait and or cut bait as desired for Channels and Blues at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 the depth of the water your fishing, adjust your depth and fan cast after you bounce them in as you try to find fish.

HAPPY FISHING:big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the rock flats and stumps and fallen trees,as far as bait well you know what i use:wink:. Livers,strawberry koolaid chicken,dip bait,cut bait,bluegills.i like to give them a variety.bro kenny use that bait where if something hits his line you know its going to be big lol,no messing around there:wink:.You want to learn how to catch big fish listen flamekeeper,words of wisdom folks:big_smile:

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I would take the time to see exactly the forage fish in that particular lake are. Matching the forage in the area where you are fishing is paramount to the success rate of any fish species. Chumming a likely area couldn't hurt either. JMHO.

Ray

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

?#1-I,d personally look for some bigger water to fish.IMHO,bigger water,bigger fish!:wink:

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    The fish in my avatar came from a 2acre lake, That throws bigger water-bigger fish out the window.(food source might have something to do with it)

Their is bigger than that swimming in some more lakes that I know of:wink:

Were trying to help NEW WATER bank fishers catch fish( any catfish.

The question was if you were to help someone fishing new water from the bank?????:confused2::confused2:

Not about what size the water .

Can anybody help some less knowledgeable fishermen out with some more tips about what to look for and how to fish from the bank..???? I'm sure they would appreciate it.:big_smile:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On the first trip I would have the mind-set that the trip is more of a "learning your pond" trip vs a catching trip. I would go before the sun goes down or just as it rises..this is the more active time thus observing will give you more insight of the pond.

First I walk the pond throwing bread out every 100'or so. This will help you see what the bait is and how much is in that area. Normally I will start fishing the 1/2 that holds the most bait.

My get up would be.....
    Bring a partner. Two guys fishing opposite sides with different baits can cover more area than one.

Set a cat bobber out with a few hooks instead on one hook. Cast out and let it drift. This will teach you depth/structure and it will also give the fish a verity of bait.

Bait I would try: gills, perch, shad, herring, shrimp, bass, crappie, liver, crawlers, and maybe even minnows or shiners.

While the bobber is out I would fish the side its drifting to and throw out a Carolina rig with a small cut gill. Most cats wont turn it down, its a great over all bait for all 3 cats.

While waiting on the Carolina rig I would be messing with the bobber recasting it when needed. Try closer/farther, deeper/shallower, and also bait and bait size. For the most part I would stay small until you can prove the size of the cats in there.

If you fish early or late, stick to the shallower end, this is where the cats will be until they go deeper for the day.

In small ponds I'm less worried about fishing in the structure because in a confined area they will move regardless. I'm more prone to fish the slopes or flats near rocks/timber.

I prolly wouldn't pick a day where a front has set in because most of the time the bite shuts down. Just before or a day or two after is what I target.

I'm sure I will think of more but off the top of my head, this sums up my pattern pretty good.

Good thread ; )
    -Jim-

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I usually look for rocks and large boulders in and around the shore. Also for laydowns , deadfalls , and areas with sandy shores , log jams , and a decent depth. About 2' is the minimum. Also pay attention to fish breaking the surface - from my experience catfish have a tendency to casually break water as opposed to bass. For larger fish at high noon , I prefer to head for rock formations that drop steeply into deep holes. I will post pics of some of these areas for a more detailed analysis by those with more experience next week.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Can anybody help some less knowledgeable fishermen out with some more tips about what to look for and how to fish from the bank..???? I'm sure they would appreciate it.:big_smile:[/QUOTE]

Several of my favorite bank fishing spots....are areas where the main river channel comes in close to the bank....usually with a bend in the channel. With a good long cast...I can reach the middle of the channel. While using cut baits such as, skipjack, shad, bluegills and live baits too. A good bank rod holder is a must, to keep your rods & reels secure. I prefer to find the deepest water possible in the fall and winter, while going more shallow in the spring and early summer.
    Yesterday while fishing from the bank in about 30-40' of water, while using a large skipjack head.....a nice fish took the bait and had my 10' rod doubled over and was taking line off the ABF.....I had him on for a few moments, when I felt the bait and hook come out of its mouth without a hook-up. I regret that I wasnt using my normal King Kahle hooks, but have been using circles lately and have missed the last two fish I have had take my baits. Thats all fixin to change though!!!!! I am ready now to get after these big winter time Bluecats now! The bite is picking up and the skipjacks are here. I really do enjoy fishing the cumberland river and its lakes.:wink:

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    things I look for in a small pond and how I relate them to fishing it.

How is the pond fed? as in where does the water come from,a natural spring? a small creek? rainwater run off? there's got to be a way water gets into a pond. find and locate these features,in the case of a small creek with flowing water,I will fish just off the silt/sediment area on the shelf or dropoff during the day,and move up onto it at night. If it's occasionally fed by rain runoff then find and locate the wash in spots,they can be hot during and right after a rain as fish congregate to wait for incoming food. If an underwater spring,and if you can locate it,it may be the center of your summertime fishing,put baits near the spring and work back away slowly till you find the water temp where they are holding during the day,they'll be cruzing the shallows at night looking for food though.

Does the pond have a weed line? often a good spot is just inside the weed line on the deeper water edge in a pond, I call this the boardwalk,the fish will cruise the boardwalk looking for tasty treats in the weedline,try suspending a bait just outside this weedline and any cruzing cat will be sure to find it.

Water depth,find out where the deepest holes are and how deep they get,and where the shallows are. to start out fish the deep water during the day and the shallows at night to try and be where the majority of fish are resting area/feeding area. IF there is a narrow spot or pinch point between good cover and good feeding area that is where you will want to set up at sunrise and sunset for a hour on each side and try to catch the cats as they funnel from one area to the next.

Night fishing-- In some smaller ponds I've experienced where the bigger cats just plain will not bite during the day,period. you will have to get out at night and target them. don't light the area up with lanterns and keep flashlight beams off the water. Some big cats reside in some small ponds and will spook from light and noise. I've caught some big cats at night from some high pressure ponds that get fished for crappie,sunfish,etc. hard during the day,but when everyone goes home the big cats come out to play,be there when they are active and ready for them,it's well worth the time.

One thing about small ponds, they are pretty fragile as far as their ecosystem, taking a couple fish now and then doesn't hurt anything,but if you stumble upon a pond full of ready and willing cats and take home a limit very often it can really put a hurt on the ponds balance,don't overfish it,you'll only be shooting your own foot. Okay,lesson for the day is over.

Good luck,once you pattern those fish the fishing will be easy.

11. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i have located a couple of different pond that i know hold catfish in them. both ponds are relativly small around 1-2 acres big.

ok first pond

the first pond is a runoff pond for some warehouses i stumbled upon. i have caught a 4 flats. a 25, 15, and a couple 5s and one channel around 5 pounds. a buddy has caught 1 flat at 14 pounds and a channel around 5 pounds it has 2 sewer like tunnels right next to eachother one seems to be emptying out in to the pond as the other one seems to be draining it. even after a heavy rain the pond it still relativly clear. in front of the tunnels are some rocks and such but roughly 3-5ft from them the water depth drops so i cant see the bottom but only speculate that it is still rocky there. as for other structures there doesnt seem to be any to tell from the top of the water. i know that there is a deep end and a shallow end the deep end runs roughly around 10-15ft deep which is relativly deep for a runoff pond that i know of. i have had a couple of snags that i have run into but dont know what it is. in the deeper end of the pond roughly 3ft out from the bank is a pretty steep drop to around 8ft. shad is abundant and some gills but not a lot. there are also some bass too.

second pond

the second pond was a pond that was dug out for some reason or another. again has a shallow and deep end. shallow end runs around 3 ft deep and the deep end runs around 7-8ft deep. only cover/structure i know in here is a christmas tree someone put on the frozen surface to sink in the melt of the spring on the deep end. the shallow end has a grassy bottom for the most part. it has a few flats plenty of channels and some blues in it. the blues i know there are a few 20pound+ in it and the channels i know there are some dinks some 5 pounders and a 15 pounder in it. there is shad, some gills mostly smals round 2-3 inches very few bass and some crappies. the only way this pond gets water to it that i can tell is only when it rains and from the snow melt in the spring. the water always seems to be really dirty/cloudy.

now i know fom general knowledge and from readings on here on some things to do. but my question is if you were the ones to fish these ponds how would you go about doing it not being able to see most things like structures and so forth? i wish there was some way i could get a fishfinder out on the water from the bank to check what the bottom is like and structure.