New fishing spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by f155mph, Sep 4, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Say you are driving around looking for a fishing spot, what do you guys look for?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like fishin outer bends on the river and a place that has some type of structure, close parking is also a bonus:wink:

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If its a river, I look for a bend in the river. And I also look for trees in the water and rocks on the bank.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    River bends are great. That is where I catch most of my fish. I have really good luck in places where the depths are changing. If there is an area that goes from 30' to 60' the area in between seems to be really good. I don't have a fish finder worth a crap and have almost never seen actual fish on it so I fish based on depth and things you can see externally.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Deep water, eddys, slack water, etc.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    forked sticks empty beer cans and chicken liver containers :wink:

7. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    a place to launch the boat:smile2:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A house to ask permission to fish.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    any place that will change the flow of the river and provide a place for the current to be slowed behind it. for example a sandbar, bend in the river, mouth of a creek, any place that will concentrate trash on the surface will probably concentrate bait fish underneath.

10. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    aint that the truth...........lol.............around here any spot that is any good that is fishable from the bank is already getting hammered by other fishermen so that is EXACTLY what you look for in this area !!:wink:

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On my local river (Tuscarawas) I usually look for wood cover close to deeper water. Now in the Tusc deeper water usually means 5-8 ft. You also can't go wrong with fishing above and below riffles. You'd be amazed at how many people I have fished with that told me when I took them to spots said they never would have thought a place would be worth crap. Like dink and TCBA mentioned....sometimes you literally need to look for the remains from other fisherman.
    Many times you'll run across people fishing these same spots that will actually complain to you that people never used to fish those spots until they started catching fish there. I had a guy tell me that once on 416 where people have fished the place heavily for years and years. The 2 guys both walked down the path where I was sitting and told me I was fishing their spot. I nicely said I was there first and was only staying a short while. The continued about how they made the spot popular:smile2: I asked them why they didn't help me and my buddy clear the whole area out 12-13 years ago when we first beat down the brush and cleared out the fallen tree that was there. They just mumbled some things and went to another spot up the bank :crazy:

Another thing to remember that most people like to blame on other factors is that some places will go through hot and cold spells. People are quick to blame fishing pressure on a spot not producing fish, but most times it's prob something else. EVERYTHING factors in. Water levels, water temps, bait availability, you name it. 6 inches in water level can sometimes make a good spot bad.
    If you are ever in the Tusc county area and would like any further help with locating some fish, let me know. I'll point you in the best possible spot I can.