New fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jan 28, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok made up my mind , decided against the water eagle rod and orderd the ugly stick graphite surf rod from cabelas not to be confused with the 12' big water rod . Specs are as followed 12' med. power 1-5 oz. 8-25# line going to put either my 140 squidder or jigmaster 500 most likely the smaller squidder since channels are the target species . Now on to the next ? i have a plastic spool and a metal spool and want to use maybe 65# power pro , which way should i go i'm thinking plastic spool filled a little less than half way with mono top shotted with 150 yards of PP or metal spool top shotted with mono and PP on the spool first . Lighter spool faster spin = more distance if i am understanding correctly or just use the plastic spool with 12-15 pound Big Game for maximum distance .

2. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Super line with plastic spool sounds a little scary to me,mono backing or not. I've never used braid but I remember reading a few days ago about plastic spools being replaced by the user due to breakage and whatnot. Might be worth Googling for.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Hey congrats on the new rod , hope it works out great for you . Ugly sticks are pretty tuff

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Yeah i heard or read something somewhere about the plastic versus metal reel inertia effect on distance . The squidder has thumb screw spool removal so carrying both spools is not an issue , i guess i didn't think about that in my in my jumbled excited about the new rod state of mind LOL so this was pretty much a useless thread except mentioning my new toy Woohoo !!! come on spring time . Now i'm off to find some sites on casting technique so i can maximize my distance

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ok first congrats on the new rod. now for the spool debate until you get to know the sweet spot on the rod which means what weight it casts the best stick with mono its cheap and with a baitcaster thats what you want. now while you're getting to know your rod try different oils to see what does best but keep in mind that if you're going for max distance with a baitcaster different conditions dictate different oils hot and humid you'll need a thicker oil say 40wt cool crisp day lighter red rocket fuel yellow or if you really wanna live on the edge rocket fuel tournament. once you get to know your outfit then you can topshot with 300yds of braid but be advised you won't get the same casting performance from a baitcaster going braid that you would with a spinner because the reel is going to throw the line off either way where as a spinner the braid reduces drag at the 2 friction points spinners have the spool lip and the gathering guide but that doesn't mean that once you get dialed in you can't hit 150yd casts. keep us posted and good luck.

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Mark i appreciate you posting especially with your expierience on this subject . What do you think about the plastic spool with mono or metal spool with superline . I understnd what you said as far as cost effectiveness , but will i benefit from using the plastic spool with lighter mono for distance ? This is a first time venture for me , i was watching some casters on you tube and it raised so many questions that i will most likely only be able to answer after hands on experience , such as hand position during release in relevance to being able to thumb the spool effectively to keep things civilized for lack of a better word , and the long handle of this rod not inflicting to much personal damage , but with all that said i'm a quick study and my passion for learning usually keeps frustration to a minmum so here goes nothing .