New fishing reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Getting an Okuma Epixnor for an early christmas present (gotta love my mom!):smile2:

I will have it by the weekend and I'll be putting it through the paces dragging bronzebacks out of my winter bass spot! I'll let the board know what I think of it. all the 'net reviews indicate it is one sweet reel.

it might almost make up for the entire week, I'm being dragged off for a work trip. and sadly, fishing is not allowed. going to be a long WEEK!

2. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Good luck with it Jason & keep us posted.

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Which model did you get? 30,50,65,80?

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yeah I went for just a medium size. 30ef.

mostly my reels (which recently have been walmart specials) are nearly all breaking. my catfish outfit was purchased this year and has more life than the rest of my stuff;

and I figure rated around 8# could be very versatile- going from trout to channels.

Anyone ever put fireline on it? I was thinking of taking one spool putting like 6 # test (for trout and finicky walleye) and taking the second spool (I think its comes with a second spool?) and putting 14# fireline (which is the same diameter as mono 8) and going for channels and bass near brush.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm sure you could put more than that on that reel Jason I have a few Walmart specials and squeezed on cajun red 20# line

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason congrats on the early Christmas gift. Enjoy that reel.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Fireline is pretty good stuff. The line gets better after a few uses. It will leave black wax marks on your hands the first few time. Its real strong stuff, it breaks at least twice its rating. Congtrats on your new reel..

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jason you will love it i got the ef80 thay are exlent reels you wont be disapointed at all engoy and congrats :cool2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You don't like baitcasters?

10. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You should do well with that reel.
    I still would go with an abu 6500,I use mine for salt ,cats ,carp,musky.
    They are rigged with 5o# power Pro.
    A bit more in cost ,around 90.00 but well worth it.

Wet

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm sure you'll like the okuma, i have the avenger abf 50 on a 6 ft. pole and it holds up nice:wink:

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I had an ambassador with braided line for a little more than a year. Convinced me I would never get use to a baitcaster. Worst 50$ I ever Spent!

I don't doubt it could pull in a whale-- that is if whales attacked huge knotted balls of filament or braid:smile2:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Most dependable ABUs will run around $80 to $160. The $50 ABU are the ones made in America so they don't works as well or smooth as the ones made in Sweden.