new fishing pole

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River_monster91, Jun 9, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    not that it matters but i got me a new fishing pole today also. bought me a 8' berkley big game spinning rod with a shakespear alpha reel spooled with 50lb (12lb diameter) spider wire 150 yards of it. might not be the nicest rig out there but it oughta handle a 30+lb flathead i hope

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    lemme kno how that reel holds up. ive been wondering about gettin one for one of my rods. but good luck with your new rig man.

3. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well if it dont hold up its only 20 bucks right? anyway ill let you know how it handles on the next flathead i catch ok?

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the next one will be friday night sitting next to me
    hey i am having a party sat night if you want to come over bring some friends

5. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am a newbie but that sounds like a better setup than I have so far. Anyone want to reccomend a good reasonbly priced rod an reel combo for cats?

6. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just got me a new fishing pole today too! :smile2: I got a 7' Ugly Stik Catfish rod and an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 reel... Too bad i paid $110 for it and didnt even catch a fish today :embarassed:

7. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    shakepeare tiger for 20bucks and spool it with spider wire braided line. its a cheap but decent rod/reel combo. or buy you a berkley big game rod for 20bucks and a shakespear alpha reel for another 20 bucks and spool it with spider wire braid like me.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the new setup. Sounds like it ought to work!!!:wink::big_smile:

9. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I bought the tiger spincast outfits and the reels weren't that good. So I took them off the rods and put Shimano Corsair 300s on them. Talk about a whole new animal!!! Casts a mile with 15 lb line and has the guts to haul in the big cats. Got the reels on ebay for a steal too. Good luck with your rig, John.

10. jparr04

jparr04 New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    How's the Shakespeare Alpha reel? I had a Shakespeare long cast reel that held up surprisingly well for its cost, and would launch line like I've never seen for a spinning reel.

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck on the spinning combo setup hope it catche,s that be'um for you

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck on the spinning combo setup hope it catche,s that be'um for you

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well i had a 2oz weight on last night and went into the neighbors field and could cast far enuff i couldent see the dust from where the weight hit the ground. im guessing around 75-80 yards. that 8' rod really goes good with the reel. it launches them weights way out there. remember thats only with a 2oz weight. just wait till i get some 4oz no rolls

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Hey Donnie now when you go fishing with Gus, just as soon as you step out of the truck bait up and sling that sucker to the river.
    Old Gus wont even be half way down the bank and you will already be fishing:smile2::smile2::smile2:.

Good luck with the rocket launcher..

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as long as he gets it in a pole holder i dont care ha ha sorry donnie just had to throw that one out there

16. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on your new setup:wink:. I've been looking for a good reel to buy, if that reel does well, let me know:cool2:. Good luck.

Cool slipknot shirt by the way... I'm listening to Duality right now:smile2:.

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    thanks gus. just be glad i lost that pole because i was going to give it to chente that night when yall left because he wanted a baitcaster. just imigane that you would have a mess with him and that baitcaster lol.