New fishing hole

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tight Line, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Tight Line

Tight Line New Member

State:
    IL
    Anyone have any information on Mattoon lake? I've heard some good things about it. Seems like the little wabash river feeds into it, might give it a try before winter sets in.
    Thank's

Tight Line

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't help U on that one ,however I can say WELCOME To the greatest Catfish site going.The BOC/SOC.. Someone will be along to answer that question for you I'm sure..So WELCOME!!

3. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC
    I haven't fished Mattoon for awhile, but it used to be really good. I do fish Charleston lake just down the road from Mattoon and the fishing is surprisingly good. The first time I fished it was during a catfish contest that my work had. I thought Charleston lake was a joke the first time I seen it. Never had seen a lake so small. At the weigh in the big fish winner was a 14.6 channel. And there were several 5-8# weighed in that night.

4. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to the BOC,alot of great people on here.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

I'm from Mattoon and fish the lake frequently.The lake lice are bad up until labor day so it should be good from here on out. A lot of guys are catching fish drifting right now. There is an abundance of shad so you should have no trouble netting them. We try to drift breaks on the east side of the island on the north end of the lake and the points on the sound end of the lake (both spots are just off the main channel). A lot of big healthy channels in the lake. They have been stocking the lake heavily for a long time now and it is pretty evident. There are also some very nice flattys in there that most people dont know about. They stocked them a long time ago and they have established a small population. Not many people fish for them because they just dont know they are in there. Bait wise I would probably keep it simple, shad for shrimp are usually big producers for us. There is also camping available right on the lake if that is something you are interested in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6. Tight Line

Tight Line New Member

State:
    IL
    Thank's Folk's,
    I couldnt find much info on mattoon. Ryan, I appreciate the info, I may try the lake in a couple of days. We got a lot of water here in the chicagoland area the last few days, and I have a little honey do list to take care of:embarassed:. If you know, are there any launch fees, or stickers I need to purchase?

Thank's again for all the info.

Tight Line

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Unless it has changed in the past year YES you need stickers for the lake..... Lake Paradise also is decent fishing...... Crappie have been doing nice also..... I'm sure that this past typhoon has put them on hold for a day or two but should level off by mid week.

8. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    That's the reason I quit fishing Mattoon they kept raising there sticker fee till it was outrageous the fishing aint that great.ya you can catch some catfish and some crappie but there are better place's around to fish ..I live within a few 1000 yards of the boat ramp at Charleston...they are catching some fish over here.sauger crappie and catfish mainly over the oldriver channel...my dad use to farm that peice of ground way back in the day before it was Charleston lake....

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    REX, any size on the saugs this year? Think I may have to ride over and get one or two, have not been up there since early spring.

10. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Randy, I caught my limit a few time's on sauger at the charleston lake this year.............while crappie fishing...they are biting pretty good,I seen several fish in the 18 to 24 inch range....they are nice and fat and health out of the lake this year''

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willis Welcome to the BOC, from the southern part of the state.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds like a deal to me, just happen to have a jig or two itchin to swim.....lol

13. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC Willis

14. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Yeah, you can either purchase a sticker for the entire year or by day. The year pass is $40 and I think the day pass is $5 or something like that. The prices have been rising and has many anglers up in arms, understandably. No charge over at Charleston with some good fishing to boot. Charleston is no wake as well where as mattoon normally has some lake lice issues. Its getting better now though with the weather cooling off.

15. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    they are racking up some nice bass at the charleston lake right now ...I came home for lunch today .pulled in to the boat ramp and talked to two guy's who fished it all morning..they said they boated 34 bass the biggest being a 5lb.9 ouncer...on a flippen jig in the junk...

16. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looks like I might have to head to Charleston this weekend