new fishing boat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by gtva, Dec 6, 2007.

1. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    I'm going to be getting a new boat before spring. I've narrowed it down to a Carolina Skiff, either the 1650 bass rig with a 25hp 4 stroke, or the 1655DLX with a 40hp 4stroke. Anyone have experience with either boat? My main needs are light towing weight and decent gas milage.
    I think either of these would work on just about any water I may fish. All thoughts appreciated.
    Greg

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ok Boats but like any Flat Bottomed boats, The slightest chop on the water and the will rattle the filling out of your teeth., they ride so rough.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'd get as much power behind you as you can afford on your budget.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i wouldnt have anything but a 4 stroke motor so much quiter so much easier to start exspecially in cold weather i love my 4 stroke i wont go back to 2 stroke for nothing. now the main reason i say this is because of all the talk about the 10 % ethanol that will be in all gas pumps a 4 stroke will be able to do fine but just ask your dealer about the future problems this ethonal is going to give 2 strokes.

5. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    GTVA...I to was on a budget and opted for more boat /less mtr. I found a deal on a G3/1756, purchased a 9.9 yami 4strk. I can motor for 3days on a dollar of gas. I've since purchased a used (Like New) 50 tiller from craigs list.I enjoy the 9.9 so much that i'm not going to motor up until spring. Running slow..you really learn the bottom. You will be dissapointed with the 25hp.Go for the 17' boat and upgrade latter.

6. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I like the dlv models, I think they ride a little better. Carolina Skiffs look to be well built and rugged. Shallow water is there shining point....

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A twenty foot Lund Alaskan is my dream boat. All Aluminum, V Hull, Slices through rough water. A buddy had one in MO. I fell in love with that boat the first time I fished the Mississippi River in it. About $20,000 separates me from that boat!

8. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    The place I work was recently bought out, and we're not sure what may happen as a result. Therefore the money that was to go to the boat will instead pay off my truck and other bills. If things are stable this time next year then the boat will come into play. For this year I'll just have to keep on with the old boat.
    Greg

9. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    good luck on your workplace greg. hope things work out ok. things seem kinda unstable in most places. thats why i still am useing a late 70,s ebbtide trihull that has been modified a bit. still able to catch them cats with it though. james

10. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Greg, I'd go w/the DLX. My rig is a Carolina Skiff and the extra width is the ticket. If you cruise the shallows or beach up, you'll like the shallow draft. Four stroke for me, no question. The only regret I have is that my 1980DLX is not at all a fun ride in choppy water if I'm running above 15 mph. One of our Brethren noted "loose fillings", and he aint lying! Hope this helps,
    Bigwhiskers

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for some great input, gentlemen! There is some great information in this thread.

Now if I can only get you guys to jump on over and dive into the other forums on this site...:wink:

12. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have a 2002 17' dual console Triumph with a " 2 STROKE " 70hp yammy that fires first turn year round.... She has had nothing but 10% ethenol used in her since late 2002.... I have not had the firs tproblem with her... The dealers will tell you anything to buy a 4 stroke because sales are way down... I get the sales info from a neighbor who is a triumph dealer and his 19' center console has a " 2 STROKE " 90.... They are more dependable then a 4 choke..... The only thing I have done with my " 2 STROKE " is change plugs, fuel seperator, and added oil.... I would not trade her for nothing!!!!!!!

13. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It doesn't mater what kind of boat you have or get it's all on your fishing methods, I've fished tourny's with boy's on mitchcrafts that couldn't catch aids at the free clinic and my 1968 bass boat kicked there asses,check out the new corolina with the v hull will work best,more bang for the buck.I like the 2 strokes best but the 4 strokes burn less gas,but the weight make a difference something to think about 1bigblue:cool2:

14. gotbait

gotbait New Member

State:
    VA
    The Carolina Skiff 1765 DLX is rough in chop but remember this, when huge wake ROCKS a V hull next to me, my rigs won't move and I don't get tossed around at anchor (I don't spill my drink either!) Skiffs are like Marines, all about the business- not excuses.