New fish finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by rcneman, Jun 1, 2006.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I am lookin to put a new finder on my boat. The original one (circa 1995) is gettin really hard to read...the LCD is really bad now. :angry:

Just lookin for a bit of input from anyone. Would like to keep the cost between $300-$400 if possible, cheaper would be better. I have looked at a $2300 unit and that would be GREAT to have...but i have rent to pay and such. Any input would be appreciated.

cyas
    rc

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Robert, The depth finder I have runs around $150 and it works great to tell me the depth and show drop offs. But if you want one you can rely on to show bait fish and you can trust that when it shows fish it is actually fish all the info I have been told or read about you will need to spend in the $600 - $800 dollar range for one that is reliable. My next purchase will be for good electronics. 777

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Take a look at Eagle brand sonar - they're made in the same factory as Lowrance and have basically the same features; the major difference is that Eagle sonar usually has less power than the equivalent Lowrance model.

For $400 you can buy a pretty nice Eagle that will show you the fish, the structure and the depth.

I wouldn't buy any depth finder with less than 480x480 resolution - that's pretty much the current "standard" and anything with lower resolution is "outdated"...

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi. Robert. I'm also in the market for a new sonar unit. The one that i'm looking at is a lorance X135 and costs $399 dollars at Bass Pro. It has 480x480 pixles and 4000 watts power and a 60 degree cone and comes with a built in temp. sensor. I want to replace my Eagel Optiama unit as it's 8 years old. Hope this helps. Bigcatman0816.