New fish finder

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TEAM FISH A HOLICS, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TEAM FISH A HOLICS

TEAM FISH A HOLICS New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    I m looking to get a new fish finder. Looking at the lowrance HDS 5 with side imaging anyone got any imput on this model before I commit the cash?

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I Have an HDS 7, don't have the structure scan yet. I have been pleased with my HDS, has good separation between fish and structure. Sometimes the 83 khz doesnt read for random reasons, but I haven't downloaded the updates as of yet and I think that fixes this problem....I think it is in mostly shallower water when this occurs. I would reccommend the HDS, although some people claim problems. I have been fairly problem free, and with any new product there usually are bugs....I would like to see companies fully test and fix problems before release, but in a capitalist economy that is not gonna happen.

If you can afford the extra cash, I would bump to a 7, or better yet an 8. With structure Scan added by 7 will even be a bit small if you want to run 2D sonar, down scan, and side scan on the screen at one time, or the chart, 2D, and down scan etc. Let us know what you decide and how you like it. Good Luck.

3. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    I love my HDS 5 that I have. I am getting ready to upgrade to the HDS 8 though and get the structure scan. I think the 5 will be too small. I was originally going to get the HDS 7 but it is not even a 7 inch screen it is only 6.4 inches so I did not feel it was worth the extra money between that and the HDS 5. If you are going to go with the structure scan I would get the HDS 8 or the HDS 10. If you are going to put the money into it you might as well do it right. That is my opinion though.