New fees at Lakes/Reservoirs

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishgeek, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
  2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    That kinda sucks, but i guess you have to pay ramp fees anyways so if you go a certain amount of times it will save you some money.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i thought it was rather cheap at 20 bucks for the year when i pay 12 bucks each time i launch my boat and if i understood it right it covers all the lakes that makes it even better and it replaces the daily ramp fees sure wish calif would do that at one lake i go to yearly pass is 150

4. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Rodpod, I think you're right, no better ramps than we've got, it stinks. :)

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they need money i think, to combat all the lifetime licences that were sold when they started this fee raising FRENZY. i know for a fact they got buried with lifetime licences. then last year they did away with lifetimes. i feel for those that did not get one, cause it will probably get worse.

6. BIGCAT GarryEads

State:
    Francisco Ind
    I think your right, I got my hunting and fishing licences for lifetime for $450.00
    back in 1978.Now you spend that in one year.:)

BIGCAT GarryEads

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think we’re lumping two separate issues into one. The permit issue and fishing license issue are separate. The funds from this lake permit are deposited in a dedicated account along with camping, entrance, swimming, and program fees. That dedicated account supports the operations of state parks, reservoirs, and forests and those funds are used only in those locations. They are used for staff, equipment, supplies, and all of the services provided to site visitors.

License dollars are spent solely in the Division of Fish and Wildlife. License dollars pay for fish stockings, public access activities (e.g. ramp & parking lot maint. & installation at public natural lakes), fish management activities, research, and DFW employee salaries. And, for each license the state sells each year, the DFW gets a kick-back from the federal government. These federal funds are from excise taxes (Dingell-Johnson and Wallop-Breaux) that we all pay when we buy boats, motors, marine fuel & oil, rods, reels, lures, etc. The equation is apparently complicated, but the amount of federal funds each state receives is based on the number of licenses sold, state population, and the acres of water in that state. So, the more licenses IN sells, the more money IN gets from the federal government to fund programs that benefit us the anglers (and/or hunters). When that deal for lifetime licenses went through several years ago, it really hurt Fish & Wildlife. That lifetime license you purchased counted for 1, and only 1, license.

So, in Gary’s case, the DFW hasn’t received federal funds for his license since 1978. Let’s look at some hypothetical numbers: Currently, DNR get about $6 per license from the feds (obviously, this was less in 1978! But bear with me!). Let’s pretend that the average fishing license cost since 1978 and for the next 20 years is $14. Then, let’s assume that Gary will fish in IN for another 20 years. 2026 – 1979 = 47 years. $14 x 47 years = $658 DFW hasn’t/won’t receive in license fees (again, obviously this is offset by the cost of the lifetime license). Now, let’s add in the $6 in federal funds per license sold: $6 x 47 = $282. So, in the 47 years that Gary will have his lifetime license and won’t purchase an annual license, the DFW looses out on about $940. Chump change over a 50-year period, right? Well, let’s now assume there are 5000 Gary’s. That equates to 4.7 million dollars. What if there are actually 10,000 Gary’s out there? = $9.4 million dollars. That’s some serious cash that Indiana looses out on. Serious cash that could be spent upgrading access, improving habitat & management, and upgrading hatcheries, etc.

That’s why the lifetime licenses were canned. And that's also why the DNR would like to see a low cost senior license. The DFW was missing out on huge amounts of money. Believe me, I’m not knocking anyone (especially Gary! You were just a good example) for buying a lifetime license. If I were around when that deal went through a couple years ago, I probably would have bought one too! From an angler’s perspective, it’s a no-brainer. We make out in the long run. But, the protection and management of our resources as well as services to us (the resource users) suffers in the long run.

I apologize for rambling!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good post brother!

we are lucky to have an educated and informed member from our state, to give us answers to things that concern us. thnks for your input, matt.

9. BIGCAT GarryEads

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Keep it comeing Matt, we need all the help we can get.:)

BIGCAT GarryEads

10. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    What just happend?:huh:

11. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    ...And our government tells us there is no inflation? If that is the case, these fee increases should not happen. Could we have been lied to?