New favorite bait!!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, Jan 26, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    During my latest trip to the river, I managed to catch 2 catfish about 18-20 in. long on chicken livers. When i ran out, I used another bait, cut bluegills. I caught a 28 incher and a 35 incher. They have since joined for for dinner!! :)

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Try them live they will be even better for the flatheads. Nice fish should make a yummy:002::002: dinner. God luck on the water!

There guts are good too!!!

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    in my experience my best channel cat has been small shad that have been stepped on.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
  5. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice fish with that 35"!!

Cut bluegill works awesome for channels however Minnesota law won't let us use them alive or dead. Alive gill is a choice flathead bait.

One of my favorite baits up here is cut Goldeye, which is similar to a Mooneye. Not sure if you folks have them down south?? We nickname them Skipjacks but they aren't the same as a skipjack herring, or are they?

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

hanson, I know you can use suckers up in MN, have you tried those for Flatheads???

Ray

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Suckers are legal! Both bait shop suckers and wild suckers. They have caught many, many flatheads for me and my fishing partners. They also work great cut for channels, and the occasional flattie that decides a cutbait is suitable for supper.

The problem with bait shop sucker minnows is they don't do well in warm summer water. You might get 5 minutes of life out of them before they die. Its a water temp thing that they don't like. Thats the reason that we've taken to using small bullheads. You cannot kill them and they stay alive for quite awhile with a 10/0 Gamakatsu buried in their back.

Gills stay alive a LONG time when on the hook but I wouldn't know that living & fishing here in Minnesota.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    OH NO!! The secret is out!! LOL!!

No secret, Bluegill are great catfish bait. Crappie fillets are also good, but it is hard to pull them away from the frying pan to use as bait!! On the lake I fish I rank crappie fillets right up there with bream heads.

9. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I almost got a HUGE fine in LA when the warden came by and I had a load of little bluegill in my bucket for bait. I didnt know that they were game fish there. I now check that in the regs when I am fishing a new state. I love using them for bait alive or dead. Some times they are easier to get than shad although they are hard to get out of the cast net!

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats some nice fish. Way to use what you have on hand and it work great. Good Job!!

11. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

have to give that one a try!

12. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    Hey sbursik I didn't even know they were game fish either. And I live in southern california. Good you posted that or I would probably get in trouble for trying it. I'm new so I'll try anything.

13. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    once the weather gets consistantly warmer and i can catch bream, im gonna try 'em fer channels. fer me the trouble is finding the right bait and hook combo

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    hmmmm, so if you caught a bluegil and just left it on your hook, would that be using it for bait or not. Seems if it hits a crawler and gets hooked it would be a fish you have caught but not taken off the hook yet. I shouldn't be thinking like this...lol

15. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    some of you guys might wanna check into your state laws and read the fine print because here in KS the law states that you CAN use a gamefish for bait as long as you catch it on rod and reel and as long as it is a legal length limit.you may not use a blue gill or a crappie or whatever if it is caught in a net of any type.hope this can help.the law here also states that you cannot take bait from one body of water to use it in another body of water.i hope this can help

16. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    IM not so much quoting the comment as quoting his quote lol i love it kill all carp rabbits of the waterways and what not

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've caught every kind of catfish in my area on cut bluegill over the years. Bluegill is and always will be my favorite bait!;)

18. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    Good For Hi-fin Blues

19. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    hey i've found fresh or frozen goldeye works awesome or if you can get them raw tiger prawns the channels freakin love them