New favorite bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, May 11, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I went fishing yesterday and have now discovered my favorite bait. There were a bunch of small bluegill (3-5 inches) right in front of me, so i caught a bunch. I had never used them live before, but they weren't big enough to effectively use for cutbait, i mean i could've, but i didn't wanna cut up all those little fish. So i but them on a 6/0 hook through their back below the dorsal, and but them about 2 feet up from a 2 oz. weight. I caught about 12 channels all about 25-30 inches weighing between 6-10 lbs.

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    When I set line I will use bluegill for bait. cat fish love them. You got some nice fish :smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh it sounds like you got it figured out.Bluegill work fine. Be sure and check the laws on gills in your area. Thanks for sharing your story.:lol: :smile2:

4. PAcatty12

PAcatty12 New Member

State:
    Pa
    I see how it is Josh!!! dont give me any credit for telling you about the Bluegill!!!! haha Just messing with you dude...good job on the cats!

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bluegill and other bream are the best summertime channle cat bait around!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is very nice, I hope to use live bream more often.

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congratulations on catching all of those nice channel cats,but I guess I'm not really clear on how you had your line rigged. I guess the thing I really don't understand is the bait being about 2 ft. up from the sinker.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah cats will tear up any bream they can get in their mouth. we have caught some really healthy channels fishing for flatheads that way.

9. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Live bluegill just happens to be my bait of choice,I fish them using a threeway swivel with a bobber at night with a glowstick!