New equipment purchase question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by pelark, Jul 7, 2007.

1. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You all seem to be so willing to help us know-nothings I thought I would throw this one out to you all...hey, what is the worst that could happen, you don't answer me...right??? I don't see that happening with this group.
    To the question...I am looking to get my son (he's almost 7) and myself some equipment to do some bank fishing for catfish. There are so many choices in setups out there from combos to piecing together your own...I am not looking to spend a lot of money, just something that will let us both have some fun and we will step up to the "good stuff" eventually.
    Any recommendations you could make for initial purchases would be helpful. We are (for the moment) looking to play with the channels (or whatever else might be biting at the moment). He loves to fish, but gets frustrated when he is limited by his equipment.
    Personallly I am just having fun watching him have fun, but wouldn't mind being able to bank a bigger one now and then.

Thanks folks...you are the best.
    pel

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Phil, if he has never casted before or isnt good at it get him zebco 404 or one of those. You can get them with the rod for about 20 or so bucks. With one of those you can have him fish for bait (gills/bass) and fish for smaller cats.

3. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He is pretty good at it...he has his moments, still...he has a 404 now...on a light duty rod...and does pretty well at catching the gills :big_smile:. So does his big sister...the difference is, she is happy with the gills... and he wants more. I don't want to lose him to frustration. I kinda like fishing with him...if you know what I mean.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    In that case they used to have at Wal Mart a Shakespear Contender R/R combo that seems pretty good. I have one and put some 20# Big Game on it, I know that loanwizard has at least one and his daughter caught a 8lbr last year at Salt Fork with ease (I think that she is 7 or 8). Its only about $30 and comes with line on it but when I used it with the line provided it had a lot of memory and didnt cast very well. Its a 7ft Rod and the reel seems pretty good. If they dont have that then they have other fairly stout combos there at Wal Mart for a very decent price.

If you dont like Wal Mart then Im sure at Cabelas or Bass Pro or Dicks (I dont like Dicks they seem pricy) or Gander Mtn. My son likes to Bass fish so I can pretty much get away with giving him the lighter combos but he can cast the heavy ones also and he is 8 (will be 9 in Sept).

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The Shakespeare Tiger combo spincast is a good starter setup for youngsters. This setup will handle just about anything up to 20 pounds with no problems. The Shakespeare reel has a bait clicker. I also like the Zebco Pro Staff 888 spincast that my wife has. Its a very good reel and will catch fish up to 30lbs with little trouble, and it also has a bait clicker on it.

If you're looking to get yourself a baitcaster reel, I would suggest the Shakespeare Tidewater 30LA. Its a good reel for the price. If you like spinning reels, the Shimano baitrunners are the only way to go in my opinion. They are a bit on the expensive side but it will save you from upgrading later on down the road.

Good luck and welcome to to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Gary had a good idea with the Contender. It is a a great spinning reel combo for 30 bucks. When I started out catfishing I had a couple. My little sister landed a 35 pound blue on one of them a couple summers ago and it held up great. it is a bigger rod so it might not be as fun for the 1-2 pound channels but it'll be worth it when the big one bites.

If going after only small channels try a cheaper bass spinning combo from wall mart. we use them when fishing for small channels and they make the fight a blast.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Phil all those suggestions are good for starting out a kid to catfishing.
    Now we gotta get you an outfit. Start with any Abu Garcia 6500 you can afford. Most if not all 6500's come with a clicker, you'll want one. I just can't say for sure cause there are numerous 6500's out there, but all I have seen have them. Then get a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot medium/heavy rod to go with it. If you look in the Rod Review section you can see how we lean on brands. You can't go wrong with an Ugly tiger. I havent used them yet (Still have the discontinued berkely E-cats) But my next rods will be ugly sticks. Put some berkely big game 30 or 40 lb test mono on it. If you take your time and follow the directions in the box you should have no trouble casting it. But you need to get away from the spincast and small spinning reels if you plan on targeting cats over 25 pounds regularly.

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would have to agree with him for both of them choices...we use the tiger R/R combo and have broght in fish up to 35# with very little problem...i know a guy that has the tidewater and it seems to do very good to

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I bought my 10 year old son a Zebco 733 Hawg Bill Dance combo at wally world for $20 during a close out last spring. I wish I had bought him another one, and two for me. Its right in between little fish and big fish. I wouldnt be afraid of catching a 20# cat with this inexpensive, yet sturdy combo.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I bought my wife a zebco 808 and it has done fine.