New EPS Law on Boats $$$

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zappaf19, May 25, 2007.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
  2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Letters sent! We all need to get on board with this and tell everyone that has a boat about it.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There is already a law prohibiting discharge of any oil onto Federal waters, and some (many?) states have also adopted this prohibition. Here's what the Arkansas Boating Course says:

"Discharge of Oil and Other Hazardous Substances

Regulations issued under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act requires all vessels with propulsion machinery to have a capacity to retain oil mixtures on board.

* You are not allowed to discharge oil or hazardous substances.
    * You are not allowed to dump oil into the bilge of the vessel without means for proper disposal.
    * You must discharge oil waste to a reception facility. On recreational vessels, a bucket or bailer is adequate.
    * You must immediately notify the U. S. Coast Guard if your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances in the water. Call toll-free 1-800-424-8802. Report the discharges location, color, source, substances, size, and time observed.

If your vessel is 26 feet or longer you must display a 5 x 8 inch placard made of durable material, fixed in a conspicuous place in the machinery spaces, or at the bilge pump control station, stating the following:

Discharge of Oil Prohibited

The Federal Water Pollution Control Act prohibits the discharge of oil or oily waste upon or into any navigable waters of the U.S. The prohibition includes any discharge which causes a film or discoloration of the surface of the water or causes a sludge or emulsion beneath the surface of the water. Violators are subject to substantial civil and/or criminal sanctions including fines and imprisonment."

And if your boat has a toilet, it must have a holding tank, and that the discharge valve for the holding tank must have a lock on it when on the water to prevent unauthorized discharge.

These are what seem to be reasonable laws, and I personally don't find any problem with them, but an $800 permit? The Coast Guard would have to start doing all its patrolling in 40' cruisers/cutters/whatever they're called, because some of these old boys would start carrying their rifles and refusing to stop for a couple of guys in a boat.

4. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Letters sent!! $800.00? Do i look like i have a money tree? LOL

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If you do, watch out cause I'm coming to harvest it's fruit!!!!

6. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good info, i will be calling and emailing

7. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's nice that someone gives a crap about the environment, but why penalize us poor boys?

8. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
  9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing this story. Important to know and to jump on the band wagon to get this law stopped. My senators contacted.:lol::big_smile: