New dude in OK

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bigjim44, Apr 2, 2007.

1. bigjim44

bigjim44 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hello, new to the boards here as well as the state. Moved to Alva and work in the Manchester area. Just wondering if anyone could help me figure a decent place to fish within an hour or so of these places. I understand that the Great Salt Plains had a fish kill recently, but my curiosity got the best of me and I fished it anyway. All I caught was a carp and a few turtles. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    :big_smile::big_smile:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Jim! I can't help you with fishing in Oklahoma, but just wanted to say welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family, buddy. We're glad to have you :smile2:!

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    welcome to the BOC James

4. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC James.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Man, I hate saying it, but your options are pretty poor. South of you, and I don't know how far, is Ft Supply and Altus-lugert, so-so fishing. Southeast is Canton, good for walleyes and eating size cats. Straight east at Ponca City in Lake Kaw. Then there are a few rivers running through that area, and not much good for fishing until you get south of Enid/Ponca City area. Your best bet is just to try and take 3 days a month and go to eastern Oklahoma or Lake Texhoma. If you can find some agreeable landowners, you could probably get their permission to fish their ponds and small lakes. Also, look in the Oklahoma Fishing phamplet for lakes the State Department of Wildlife manages. Like I said, your just about sol. LOL

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC James yer gunna luv it here!!

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Brother, don't know much about OK but if you get to the Memphis area, give me a call. I may be in Broken Bow next week for a few days, are you close to that.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you joined the BOC Buddy! It's the best site on the Web Bar None!!:big_smile_2:

9. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC and the great state of Oklahoma! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your options are pretty null unless you can find some good farm ponds.

10. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Howdy Jim and welcome to the board.
    Awshucks hit the best bets already. Canton is probably the closest at about 60 miles due south of ya.
    For other fun though you can always grab a quad and check out the dunes at Little Sahara or try your luck at digging for crystals at Salt Plains. In other words when it comes to fishing the creek your up don't need a paddle, it needs a beach bucket and shovel :eek:oooh:
    All kidding aside it isn't that far to water, just takes some planning.

11. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    welcome to the BOC. Sorry I can't help you, not familiar with your part of ther state

12. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC Jim:0a25:

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    welcome to the boc jim.dont let them guys get you down.the closest place for me to hit the ark.river is 84 miles away and i still go 2 weekends a months.just go at dinner and stay all nite.you will find some good waters some where just maybe not next door.

16. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    Welcome James from another "new dude" from Oklahoma.

17. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Canton is a good lake and about another 30 miles or so down the road is a little lake called American Horse that is one heck of a lake for Bluegill, Bass and Channel cat and you can fish it in high winds when Canton is white capping. I fish Canton and have a small fishing cabin there and the fishing is fairly good and several years ago the state record Channel Cat came out of there. Salt Plains will take years to recover from the fish loss.
    Bill

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey, that's my job!!!!

Welcome to the BOC James. Best way for you to get information about good fishing holes is to try and make time for the Keystone Gathering the first weekend of June. It is at Lake Keystone which is just west of Tulsa about 20 mins.

Here are some links you might be interested in:

The Keystone Gathering

Full Keystone Thread

Keystone Signup list

20. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hi James, welcome to the BOC. Lawrence is right, you are very limited in Alva. I use to drive a truck and I would overnite in Alva, I always had a fishin rig with me. The best I could do for quick fishin, some of my customers had farm ponds and I caught a few fish. Then you can go north into kansas and Kiwoa Kansas folks have some really good farm ponds, and Harper Kansas use to have very nice city lake with good fishin. Wish we could get you some fishin closer to Alva. Good Luck.