New Drug in School

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Latest Drug in Middle School - 'Dusting'

First, I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff. I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named Thor. He was certified in drugs and general duty.. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty.. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you.. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs.

I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005.. I also was working on some of my older computers. They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF . Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use one of them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my two sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them..

On February 28 I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st, I left for work at 10 PM.. Just before midnight my wife went down and kissed Kyle good-night... At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was propped up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over.. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system... No other drugs.. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 AM.

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15.. They even have a name for it.. It's called dusting. A take off from the Dust Off name.. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend... Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. It's just compressed air. It can't hurt you. His best friend said so.

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air .. It also contains a propellant called R2. It's a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator... It is a heavy gas... Heavier than air.. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. IT KILLS YOU.

The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. IT'S NOT AN OVERDOSE . You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much... You usually die as you're breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing 'the hit .' That 's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eyes were still open. The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. And that's why it's more accepted. There is no chemical reaction, no strong odor.. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

It's easy to say hey, it's my life and I'll do what I want .. But it isn't... Others are always affected. This has forever changed our family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I can't describe it.. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One won't talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I can't even describe how bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor.. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system.. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there. They don't even have a DARE or PLUS program there. So rather than tell everyone about this 'new' way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.. Using Dust Off isn't new and some 'professionals' do know about it. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids.. They all seem to know about it. April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died.. April 5th would have been his 15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus .

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the update brother, its always good to try and know whats out there.It is sure hard to stay on top of things, as a parent. Thanks for sharring that info. Glad my children are raised.

3. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    man i'm sorry for your loss. i know about this stuff from my children. when my boys were in school it was just getting started. one of them come in one day and looked like he was high and i ask him what he was doing and he told me. i got furious and threw all that crap in the garbage and we had a long talk. i explained the effects it could have on him and for as i know he never did it anymore. we do need to get the companies to change the ingretients or take it off the maket. but how?

4. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Just shows that we have to be on our guard all the time with kids. I actually run a school computer lab and care for the schools' IT equipment. I have Dust-off and other aerosols locked in a cabinet.
    I used to work for a aerosol company and all the different propellants used are hazardous in their own way. Butane, propane, Isopropane are all used in household and bathroom products, and a lot of these are destenched so you don't get the gassy smell. They have all been huffed at one time or another. The only safe aerosols are the ones you recharge with a tyre pump, but not many people want to bother with that.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John, I too thank you very much for this post. I asked Jessica,since she is 15 if anyone she knew of did this and she said as far as she knew they wasn't. These Kids,Mercy Sakes,what is it that is so attractive about being high?? I just don't understand,and I thank God that I don't understand. Thanks again!!

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Any kind of inhalant that kids can get to is a danger...we have some stealing freon from the school's air conditioners and inhaling THAT believe it or not and it's a problem in the 2 largest school system in NW AR (one the largest in AR) as well. My son's g/f caught her sister (14) and 2 18 year old kids that lived at the same apartment building trying to do that not long ago.

Another thing NOT to buy your children, especially in the middle school grades, but high schoolers too--

DO NOT PROVIDE THEM WITH "LIQUID PAPER" the liquid correction fluid for typo's. if they are in possession of it at all, it should be the correction TAPE, not the liquid...that is a known inhalant and readily available and most parents wouldn't think a thing about buying it, but don't. They do make a dry form, in the tape form in a roll on dispenser that is safe to purchase and provide. That is also a known inhalant, and we have in handbook that they cannot possess it, or it will be confiscated and reported to the parent the 1st time and they will be sent home the 2nd offense, and I have known some of ours to go home over it, one I caught in my room, inhaling it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i am really sorry to hear about you loss. that is the worst thing i can imagine a parent would have to deal with.

when i was in middle/ high school, that kind of thing was just starting, or at least i knew it was going on. i cant lie we all tried it, and the number one reason was because it made your voice really deep for a few seconds and it was funny. even the girls that would get mad at the boys for trying marijuana would try it. i nor any of my friends would do it alone, it was just more for laughs when we were together in a group.

we never knew how dangerous it was until we got older, and i know our parents had no clue it was going on. we were all a good group of kids also. most of us never did drugs, or even thought of that as a drug. as a kid you are just young, dumb, and naive to how one decisions can end your life. i guess we all just got lucky.

i think educating parents as well as children is important. especially now a days with all the different types of drugs and ways kids are getting high.

once again sorry for your loss.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WOW, I had heard about this on the news a while ago...I had never thought about it being some one on the USCA!!!..Im sorry for your loss!!!

9. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    The "LIQUID PAPER" or "WHITEOUT" as some people know it as.. it a strong inhalent..stronger than glue i think...im not sure...but i hear about it more than glue..and there isnt a age limit..They can buy it at walgreens..WE have a walgreens accross the street from school and they wont let us buy it they say if you need it bring you paper in and we have special bottles of it we will whit it out for you at no charge...

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

First of all let me set the record straight.It wasn't my loss. I got this through and E-Mail and figured it was something all parents and grandparents needed to know.Sorry if there was any misunderstandings .
    This was written by a police officer from what I understand.

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I had never heard of that as well.I thought I was still young enough to know about most of the drugs out there.Thanks for sharing and hopefully it will help someone prevent a terrible tradgedy.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I was not aware of it. I have not heard of it being use in this area, but that don't mean its not. I would love to rep you on this but its not possible anymore with a General Conversation thread. :silly: So I will say a special thanks.

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I keep an air compressor around for just such a thing. I use it to blow out my computer, space heaters, fans and the reusable air filter in my furnace. Dont use a vaccum on your computer. The hose builds up a static charge and it will fry your processors and mother board.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    good post john, i was bad into opiods and heroin like stuff, almost died 5 times, i think drugs are a bad thing i have permanent complications from using, and i got to live with it, i think if we put up awarness programs more like this it will help, being an x addict i dont belive in users being put behind bars ,ive had alot of freinds die from them, and get even worse after prison, there is not much you can do for someone who does not want to help themselfs,and its a sad thing, i dont see prison as help for a victom of the drug, but the dealer is the one at falt for he is selling a poison, however i think beer and ciggerets should be illigal also if cannabis is illiegal, ive seen deaths from every type of drug the worst is 100 percent tobaco by far, it should not be legal, its worse than heroin if you ask me, and i got a freind who does airduster his brain is fried from it, the only moral just thing you can do as an officer is get the crap off the streets, sorry to hear this storey its one i see daily, lost alot of good people to hard drugs booze and tobaco, you can get high off anything i know becouse i tried them all, legal pills called dx is a problem, there are so many legal drugs you would not even think about, gypson weed was big in school and was ten times as bad as lsd, but it is a persons choice to do it and some come out of it and some do not, i got lucky i got clean but i got nerve damege and all that badstuff, and i will never be able to take pain well due to all my past use, good post john , get the dealers off the streets thanks brother hope the boys in a better place, i hate hearing theese things man its just sad

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Gary I knew it had been out before but figured it wouldn't hurt to get it out to the public once again.
    I'm just sorry that some on here seems to get the idea that it happened in my home. IT DID NOT. I'm not even a police officer.
    Just wanted to relay a message that I had received.

17. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I Would send you reps but you cant when it isnt a fishing post..Congradulations on getting clean!!!

18. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am deeply hurt by this story, like many other members here am a father. My lil' one is only 3 and preparing myself for those long talks and explanations. I didn't know about "dusting" its amazing what kids now a days use to get high. I heard about 3 days ago about a new way that kids are doing to get high. You would never suspect this. It is actually HAND SANITIZER!! Kids are DRINKING the hand sanitizer to get drunk, I'm not sure if there have been any deaths from this. But give me a break HAND SANITIZER!!!

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Didn,t read all the way through.Thought it was you.I,m glad it wasn,t!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have have studied drugs and phyc, im not good at grammer lol, but im not dumb, their is a fine line between whats safe and what is not, no chemical injested is safe, even fda aniphycotics, or ssris, as far as what is legal and illigal i think we got a problem in the cort systems, my veiws on drugs are way differant than most due to the fact i was a heavy user and seen alot of deaths from legal and illigal substance, i think if one is illigal they all should be including alchohal and tobacoo, i worked in a nursing home and seen so many lung cancer patiance die a ungodly death from them, yet their sold in stores ect, and ive seen meth and heroin users live till 40 and overdose a qwick painless death, now im not saying illigal drugs are not as bad. the way the legal ones kill you is a longer life with a worse end, narcotics you live shorter but die painless from an overdose , my point is in my opinoin all drugs should be illegal to sell and the seller should go to jail , yes ciggs and booze are included in this, however if the user wants to use and gets busted i dont think they should serve time for it unless they have done bodily harm or robbed for them, i think the users of what i consider hard drugs should be sent to rehab in a good support system unless they get violent, then i would say they should do time, the opiods aka heroin are the most addictive of all the classes of drugs,they make one feel like your in a warm blanket and makes a strong orgasmic feeling in the bodey, this leads to a tolerance which in the end leads to a pointless life then death, meth is another one that does the exact oppisent along with cocain, this will make one violent and paranoid and very unrelaxed, and then tobaco, this is the one that has the most horrific death out of the big three, i put as the worst, after you seen deaths from those things you will not touch them, 95 percent of the time the user has a underling mental illness like ocd bipoler or forms of autism, the only one i think is the least dangerouse is cannabis, but i wont get into that lol, kids dont try drugs trust an x junkie it leads you to a place i would not wish on my enamy, look up layne staleys death from alice in chains, i hope this thread makes you think about what theese things will do to you, but its your decision , goodluck with the choices you make, god be with you