New dog - golden retriever

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by jtrew, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gardenhawk got me my Father's Day gift last night; a 18month old golden retriever. While grown up, it hasn't filled out yet...it only weighs 100#. It's a replacement for my yellow lab that died about 3 weeks ago. Why not a real puppy? We've had a lot of trouble with parvo on my property during hot weather; puppies are really lucky to make it through hot weather. It's a male, and not neutered, so I've got my work cut out for me getting it somewhat trained.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Congratulations Jerry! You've got yourself a good breed of dog there. :wink:

Actually, 100 lbs. is already pretty large for a golden, according to the "ideal". Males are supposed to weigh 65-75 lbs., and females 55-65. I find that most of the ones I see these days (and all three of mine) outweigh that standard by quite a bit.

Even at 18 months, he should not be extremely difficult to train. They love pleasing people and of course are quite intelligent; although they can be hard-headed and rambunctious at times.

Watch out for skin problems, they're prone to 'em. Blossom is allergic to fleas and grass. As she has aged, she seems to have outgrown the worst of this. I keep all of mine treated for fleas, but whatcha gonna do about grass? :smile2:

Good luck, and enjoy your new dog. What did you name him?

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Have three Goldens myself and I don't think you could ask for a better dog. Enjoy!!!

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get the book "water dog". They don't get to old to learn. Never had a golden but raised 4 blacks. Labs are some of the most loyal dogs i've known. Congrats on the new guy and sorry for the loss of your other friend.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm amazed at how much this dog is like the male golden I got back in 1990. He's already figured out how to open the drive gate in my fence; had to get something to lock it down. And it really brought back old memories when he got hold of a can of french fried onion rings that had been opened and only had the plastic cap on it. He carefully removed the cap, leaving only one small tooth mark on it, then ate every last ring without damaging the can at all. My first golden had performed a similar trick with a box of gingersnaps. I've got a kids plastic wading pool filled with water so he can cool off whenever he takes a notion.

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Sounds like a great fathers day gift to me. With some patience, disciipline, and love you'll have a loyal friend for many years. I plan on getting a young dog in early July. I have a lab/husky/spaniel mix right now. He is a great dog and will be very useful in the training of the youngster. He knows his place in the chain of command, and I'm sure will let the newbee know his in short fashion. I find any dog with lab or retriever in the mix is great with the kids and high in intellegence. Good Luck with your new one.......maybe you could get some pics up. That would be great.

Richard

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Golden "Elliott the wonder dog"is a smart dog he has me trained to go get his rubber "duck dummy".:eek:oooh:
    smokey