New Diamond

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by spcmitchell28, Feb 13, 2009.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I just bought a Diamond Black Ice, and I absolutely love it! I would recomend this bow to anyone. I was shooting a PSE Super G, but the Black Ice blows it out of the water. I have never seen a faster more flat shooting bow. I cant wait to try to put one of my G5 Montecs into a turkey this spring :smile2:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Good luck and good shooting with the Diamond bow! Hope you bag a nice turkey with it! Heard a lot of great comments about the G5 series of broadheads. They should do the trick just fine for you!!

3. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Im hoping they will, I bought a pack of their practice heads and you couldnt ask for a straighter shooting broadhead. I have been shooting 5" groups at 50 Yards :smile2:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Pretty decent group at 50 yds. with broadheads. Heck, it sounds like your well on your way to bag a gobbler. Keep up the good shooting and post some results when you put the smackdown on one of those feathered critters!! I like using the NAP Spitfires on turkeys and even used the Shockwaves made by the same company. They fly great when shooting through the netting on my Double Bull blind. I really like the expandables for Turkey hunting, because they tend to stay in the bird and do the damage for an easier recovery. The last Turkey I shot was a complete passthrough, because I was using a faster bow. The kenetic energy of todays bows are amazing and the results show faster recoveries of animals as long as the shot is right!!

5. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Thats the only thing im worried about because my bow is set at 70lbs. I really dont like the idea of lowering the weight for turkeys then having to crank it back up. I was thinking about putting one of those stoppers behind the broadhead to slow it down. I have a double bull darkhorse, and I have never shot through the netting before, so I am kinda nervous about seeing if it effects my trajectory or speed much. :crazy:

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Speed of the arrow going through the netting, will not be much of an issue, if any. Now accuracy or trajetory or the arrow can or will be affected by which style of broadhead you use. I wouldn't shoot a fixed blade or mechanical broadhead that has blades which have a bend in the blades. Double Bull recommends using mechanicals that have no bends or L shaped blades. These broadheads can catch on the netting and affect accuracy dramatically. As far as cranking down the draw weight on the bow, some do and some don't for turkey hunting. I know some guys will use a small washer behind the broadhead so it will stay in the bird and get the job done. I'm guessing with the bow you have and the poundage you shoot, you're going to have a pass-through on the turkey. Especially using fixed blade or replacement blade broadheads.

Regardless, shot placement is the key for a clean kill.

I can mention 3 places for a quick kill on a turkey.

1. the head shot. Done deal.
    2. Vital shot. heart and lungs will offer a clean kill with speedy recovery.
    3. upper leg shot. will keep the turkey from running and it cannot fly. offers the hunter to take another shot if necessary for a clean kill.

number 3. has been used with dramatic results. the drumstick shot is a large area and is a no brainer for getting your turkey.

7. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I am going to try the washer, but unless hes within 10-15 yards, I will probly go with trying to hit him in the vitals, if he is that close, Ill see if he can out duck an arrow coming at him lol :cool2:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Congrats on the new bow. I'm shooting a BPS Kronik which is made by Diamond, been a good bow so far.

9. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Thanks, I have had to save up for quite awhile for it, but so far its been worth every penny:smile2: