New Deer mount I did the 2nd Deer Mount

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Feb 15, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    second one in the journey.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    these are more pics.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    and a few more. just got me an airbrush to start messing with too.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Nice mount looking good

5. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Looks like that deer got to close to a rare pin cushion porcupine and it lassoed both his ears with zip ties lmao.:D

6. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    thats the first mount i've seen with it eating i like it looks good jerm.....

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    chuck you turd im gonna send that robber back down to your office for that trophy series reel i want. lmao.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got me an airbrush and such now. the mount is done and will be entered at the deer and turkey classic this weekend. ill post some final pics in a few min.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here is after i airbrushed and blended the eyes and dimpled the nose and glossed.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    couple more pics here.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this cape is much darker than illinois as you can see the armpits are brown. here they are white. the cape is from a taxidermist from new york state accompanied with all the legal #ers. the illinois antlers was shot and tagged back in 2001. and the form is a texas style whitetail shoulder semi offset right turn. i put all that togather to make a mount. so its a real puzzle.

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Hey Jerm, When doing this type of work how much strength is needed in the hands. I have a little Arthritis in my hands, but not too bad. I've wanted to learn to do this and Take on a few mounts during deer season, But am worried If my hands would hold up to it. By the way, Nice work Never seen one with its tounge hangin out as a mount. Mac

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Great job! How long have you been doing this?

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats the idea, my name when i start getting into this this season along with fish is WILDLIFE ILLISTRATIONS. meaning i can do stuff that others don't lol.

well i can tell ya one thing. the sewing is a bit rough. i don't have a sewing palm yet but getting one. then when ya pull the thread you use the leather to take off the strain and the metal palm to ease the needle through the hides. also the streaching of the hide is alot of hand work. but streachers are available from 30 to hundreds of $. depending on how many ya do. other than that if ya can use a dremel tool and do a bit of painting its not real hard work. more tricky than anything.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

thats only my second head ive ever done. did two this winter.

16. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Hey, that's a great looking mount you did! I have done 2 mounts myself , the one in my avatar on the right was my first. How long did it take you to mount yours? I did this one in about 10 total hours using a wet tan and my second one took about 8 hours. Did you dry tan or wet tan? I'll see if I can show you a bigger picture of it. The 12 pointer, I had mounted by a pro the season before I did the 8 pointer and I can definitely say I'd rather do my own. You get much more out of it. I also have arthritis but it doesn't seem to get in the way doing mounts. I'd like to try to do one like yours with the deer eating, maybe my next one. Also, wanted to tell you an easy way of stretching your hide before slipping it on the mount, also a lot cheaper than stretchers. Take an inner tube and fold it up inside your hide then slowly air it up until you get the correct stretch you want. Beats all that tugging and pushing!

Attached Files:

17. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Looks like you've been doing it for years. good job!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    looks good. i did a wet tan. flesh, salt, pickle the hide, final flesh,then oil. i really didn't keep track of how long. i fooled around quite a bit with the air brush and toungue. not long though.

i caped out a button buck in 15 min and took maybe 20 min to rough flesh and salt. then froze. its in the acid bath now till tomorrow. putting a set of small ten point antlers on it as my first show peice. it was a road kill my friend hit on feb 2nd. its legal in illinois to claim roadkill deer. if ya do the processing your self ya don't have to report it. ya just have to keep the date sex and location of the kill on hand till all parts are consumed. but to keep as a mount i will need to call the illinois department of conservation and get #.

19. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I tried Krowtann 2000 on my second mount and will never use anything else. It really takes a lot of the work out of it. Just rough flesh , mix the tan with salt and water, then soak the cape in it for a couple of days keeping it turned, then take it out, rinse and do the final fleshing and it's ready to mount or can be froze for later mounting. It's got great stretch to.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen that in mckenzy catalog. they showed a couple mounts that was done with it. i might try that this next season. no salting or acid bath just one soaking. does sound easy.