New Crappie Record in Fulton,MO.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by thomas feldon, May 12, 2006.

1. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    5.02 pounds according to MDC. Posted in North American Fishing Club. Previous record was set in 1967 in Independence, MO.
    I'd better get busy now and try to get time off from work to beat this.:lol:

Check out the new limits that are being set. I have to get busy and let everyone I know, that are not on line, or that can't afford a computer about these new regulations for blue cats and channels. http://www.mdc.mogov/fish/.com

Check out (fishing), then go to (fish and fishing). Lot's of info in the whole sight.:smile2:

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Monster Missouri crappie could be international record

A private lake in Callaway County produced the 5-pound black crappie.

FULTON, Mo.-John Horstman had not been pumping iron before he hooked a state-record black crappie, but he got a little workout landing the fish, which broke Missouri’s state pole-and-line record and could be an international record, too.

Horstman and his son Doug were on a sort of annual trip April 21. Doug is a certified public accountant, and after the rush of tax season passes each year he and his dad take a few fishing trips. They had permission to fish a private lake in their home area of rural Callaway County, and started fishing around 9 a.m. It was their first time there.

They were fishing with live minnows, hooking the bait fish through the lips, from the bottom up. By 11 a.m. they had caught several nice crappie, including a 15-incher and a slightly shorter one that Doug boated. Then John hooked a monster.

"We could tell it was big," said John, "but we couldn’t tell what it was until it got up close to the boat. When we saw it we knew it was a good crappie."

The fish fought hard, making several strong runs that taxed John’s spincast reel. He was pretty sure his 14-pound-test line would hold, but he worried that the fish might straighten out his No. 4 wire hook.

"Then it got tangled around the anchor rope, of course," he said.

After a few tense moments, Doug grabbed the fish by lip and John grabbed the anchor, and they lifted both into the boat. They put the 19-inch black crappie in the boat’s live well and then went back to fishing, but the morning’s action was over, so they went home. When they got there, they put John’s big crappie on a scale.

"It weighed a little over 5 pounds on that scale, so we got kind of excited," he said. "Until then we thought it probably weighed around 4 pounds."

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm not from the "Show Me" state but would love to see a pic of it.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'll try to post it as an attachment

Attached Files:

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    What a beautful piece of Flathead bait... uh, I mean Crappie, LOL.

Of course, I'm joking, as that's illegal in MO. However, the flathead wouldn't be aware of those regulations. Have you ever wondered how many "record fish" get eaten every year? LOL

If you were going to fish for Crappie, that would certainly be an exciting catch!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats one huge crappie!!!

7. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Can you imagine what those filet's would be like...:tounge_out: Me, I'd have everything done to get the record and then smoke it over an open fire. :tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:

8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    what a nice fish.

9. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    That is one beautiful Crappie!!!!!!!!!!

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Shane you took the bait right out of my livewell....er I mean the words right out of my mouth! Looks like one swell piece of bait!

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto Shane and Ron. First thing that came to my mind wuz BAIT. LMAO. Nice fish to say the least.. ...:cool2:

12. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    WOW! Nice fish. 14.5" biggest I've caught!

BrianK

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That is one AWESOME crappie! Would sure seem to be a shame to use that kind of good eating, for bait, but when it comes to a big flathead, well you know.