New Crappie Fisherman Here

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, Sep 18, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    New to the crappie fishing thing. I went out for 5 hours this weekend. Caught only 3 luckily they were keepers. I heard one guy there that day caught 40. What am I doing wrong. The water is 79 to 80 degrees according to my fish finder. The thermocline seems to be anywhere from 10 to 14 feet deep (i'm guessing b/c thats where the schools are). I am trolling slowly with jigs, minnows, and jigs with minnows. This is a lake also. Are they just not biting this time of year or do you think its the way i'm presenting it. Another thing that might have hurt me is that the wind was blowing, the water wasnt white capping I call it but it was right there before it does. Thanks alot for the info, i'm new to it and still learning.

2. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    Oh yea, it was in the morning too. From 7:00a.m. to 12:00

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    well, one thing you might try is minnows with crappie bites.

they work pretty darn good.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

At times crappie can be picky. Around here they have recently started biting more at night than in the am. before that they were biting during the hottest part of the day. The one's I have been catching are all coming on minnows about a foot off of the bottom in about 14 foot of water, off of a pier. So as fickle as catfish can be a crappie can be worse, at times. Just keep plugging away. The only advice I can offer is that you may try to anchor around some brush piles where you marked fish on your fish finder.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    might be a little early in your area (?) to load up with crappie. i do my best about a hour before dark until an hour or so after. catch the biggest ones then. the reason being is that i really don't like gettin up early. in those 2 hours i have caught 80 or more up to 16 inches, avg 10 inches. i do troll often during the day but will find a spot and fish from bank in the evening this time of year. they will come in very shallow as the sun starts to set. have also used small surface lures to get a few. the best way to catch crappie is to keep after them.
    good fishin to ya.

6. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    I hear yall talking about fishing from the bank. How are you doing this? What is your setup? thx

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    i use a tube jig (1/32 oz) with usually a red/white or blue/white body under a 5/8 bobber anywhere from 18" down to 6". using ultralite with 4 lb test line. normally use 7 to 8' rod. it works for me.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would try some ledges, maybe from 8 feet to 12 feet. If you can mark any kind of structure on that, big bonus. That would be a good bet during the day. I would fish this with minnows b/c they will be fickle and it's way easier for a new crappie fisherman to get crappie to bite with a minnow than a jig. Either fish this as a drop shot or on a slip bobber, whatever ur more comfortable with. If this doesn't work I would try shallower around brushpiles. This is alot better bet during lowlight hours though. Once again, minnows on a slip bobber. Another place I would try is standing timber, especially if you know of some in 10-14 feet of water.

Also look for where other crappie fishmerman are fishing and even bass fishmerman. Crappie are very similar to bass in feeding patterns so where the bass are the crappie are. You can find good fishing reports for bass online so check those out.

You said the wind was blowing hard. that's a good thing (most of the time) Fish where the wind is blowing too. If you can find a cove or point with the wind blowing into it, fish there. The wind will blow the plankton in (thermocline) which will bring in baitfish, which will bring in crappie. They can be incredibly shallow if the wind if bringing food there.

If fishing from bank I would look for docks. I have been hammering them off docks. I fish a big dock (houses about 60 boats) and I can't get my bait back in fast enough. I am fishing them very shallow, right underneath the docks. Crappie don't like light but LOVE to be shallow. So if they can hang out shallow and be in the shade they are there. I have been doing better by pitching jigs and swimming them along the dock than a vertical presentation, although they have hit minnows too. Also, these docks can be hard to get permission on but what I do is go talk to the owner. This time of year, the season is getting over and most will not have a problem at all with you fishing if you go talk, be respectful and courteous, and nice. So go talk to them. The place I fish lets me fish whenever I want this time of year and only after they close during the summer.

This would be my bets. I still think it's a little early to troll, I won't do much trolling for another couple of weeks. But some guys hammer them trolling when water is warm. Keep trying and keep us posted. Good Luck!

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Stinkbait,fill out your profileI'm not sure even what state your in.Here in NWMO,we have been hammering them on jigs from the bank,shallow water.Morning bite till about 10 am.

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is a good thread. I'm also new to crappie fishing. I gave it a good shot last spring, with no luck. I caught bass perch and bream on jigs and almost no crappie. I know I just need to go with somebody who knows what there doing, but I wanted to say I taught myself. Next time I try it I'm using minnows. This talk about trolling for crappie sounds pretty fun.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The most productive method I've ever used for crappies is just a plain old minnow under a float. And crappies aren't afraid of crappy weather. The best fishing we do on crappies is from mid october-november on days when it's windy, cold, and overcast. Fish stick-ups in about 3-4ft of water. Last year around October 20th we fished like this and came away with about 25 keeper sized crappies and my dad had one on that had to be 2 1/2lbs +, it broke his 6lb test before we could get it in the boat.