new convert to catfishing.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by desertcatrat, May 17, 2009.

1. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    im new to ccats have fished whole life avid bass fisherma bat met some flathead guys out in palo verde and ever since cant stop thinkin bout a big kittie live in low desert lookin for some info on canals or main river i bought a 7000 and a 9ft glowstik and just got a qantum clw20 nice!!! lookin to set up on catmaxx 20-59 7'9 or maybe team cat 1 ton any other ideas i run 50 cajun only gone once but have read and studied up circles or octo hooks i only catch n rekease so want to ensure good releases

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Brian always glad to see new people come on board. We have some people from out your way and I am sure that you will get some information soon. If you ever get to Arkansas, look me up.

Buster

3. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thanx hope to get on the scene i have been once on my own there is a lot to learn and i want to i dont know how this site works hope i dont cross any lines

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. You will learn a lot here just ask.

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian welcome to the BOC

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Brian,
    Sounds like you're getting rigged up nicely..
    In the river, I prefer Kahles 7/0-10/0 or Octapus 7/0's, Depends on baitsize..and, personal preference..
    Otherwise, just find a place you can access water, hopefully, a shallow to deep transition, inlet, structure, like boulders, wood, ,,anything the fish can hide around or in.
    Live bait caught or bought, fresh cut, even nightcrawlers.. will get you a Flathead.
    You can catch them in the main channel, eddies, backwaters, canals, drains, just about anywhere you can get a line cast into the water.. of course, some spots are better than others, and, you may end up with channel cats, or even a bass occasionally.
    Bring your bugspray, and a bunch of water,, and Good Fishin'
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    :0a25:Welcome to the BOC Brian! There alot of cool people. Hope to get to meet you some day. I live in Los Angeles County.

Jaime

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey guys did you all feel the Earth Quake we just had? it must have been about 20 seconds!:crazy:

Jaime

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my grandson just called me about earthquake. (he's 6) first one he's felt and he thinks a alligator is under the ground. since he get epileptic seisures, i had to explain it wasn't a live animal that wasn't gonna come out and get him or he would of gone into a seisure tonight again. was cute kinda convincing him.
    gary

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: Brian to the B.O.C. - You will get a lot of Fishing Information here - if you don't know, Just ask & and you will in no time. :0a23:
    :wink:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Brian from Fresno

13. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thanx to all esp snagged 2 thinkin of goin wed or thurs nite to palo verde canals i appreciate the info i have fished my whole life but i goota know what a 30+ flat feels like dont really want to go alone i have fished that area for years for bass palo pretty water cibola etc so i know a few spots from some locs i talked to

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey Brian.. If you fish in current your going to cross lines hehe.

If your fishing in that area make sure you cover up. The spray doesn't really do the whole job. I noticed last time I fished the lagoon that I got more runs on my poles that were out in the channel. I still place them all over but it is something I noted in my head. Good luck with those circles.. I find their better for release than catch and release lol. If you come through Blythe drop me a message ahead of time and we can do a meet and greet.

Oh another thing for the lagoons and drainage ditches. If you get pick ups but miss everytime even though they run off with it switch to some smaller baits. Remember if you have a line across the water from you or out in the middle they may very well come towards you or just move a little off to the side. You may just get a thump and some slack and never get the clicker going off. Not sure how to make cirlces work in that situation but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thanx cris i know the skeets r bad i was out at cibola sat bassin n they wewre there thanx for the tips ill fish the outfall south of palo verde try to get get sum gills but ill go by b&b for sure back up yea i prefer to release w photos

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Welcome to the board Brian guess you got a boat so i would spend your time on the river,going to have to spend your nights on the water, dusk to dawn, just get your gills out in some slow moving water next to the tulle's, most of them places the SMB hang out there's flats , Dude head out to the Gathering in Blythe the 1st weekend in June, link is under my name

17. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Remember if you have a line across the water from you or out in the middle they may very well come towards you or just move a little off to the side. You may just get a thump and some slack and never get the clicker going off. Not sure how to make cirlces work in that situation but I'm sure you'll figure it out.[/QUOTE]

You have a good point there Jag. The times I've used circles they've taken off with the bait, and hooked themselves. If they come in toward you with the bait I can see how that can be a problem. I like the circle hooks and have had some decent success with them, but they do have to run away with it to get em. I normally use kahles, but I like circles as well. I will bring both when I come down.

Sean!

18. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to BOC Brian!

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I heard a lot of good things about them thermacells. Let me know how they work out there:wink:

20. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    That is a good idea. Don't know if I'll get a room or not, but if it is 105+ the whole time I might. Hopefully dippin in the river and a couple cool showers will do the trick. I'm pretty much set to go too. Went out yesterday and got most everything I need. I have a couple minor things to iron out, but other than that ready to go "Do the Damn Th@ng"! :wink: Hopefully time flies the next two weeks. Time always seems to slow down when you're waitin on somethin.:sad2: