New Coal Power Power Plant On The Pee Dee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Blake Wright, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks Like Santee Cooper will get to build their plant in Kingsburg. How will this effect the fishing on the Pee Dee River? It will be down stream from Dewitt's Bluff and upstream from Allisons.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm not certain whether they will build it or not, Blake. They are determined to build it, but a lot of agencies, including DNR and Gov. Sanford are against it, not to mention the folks who live in the area and use the rivers. The potential pollution will cover a much larger area than the immediate surrounding river and land. I realize the need for more power in the future, but I don't think coal is the answer at all. Thanks for posting. Let's see what those who live closer to the area think.

3. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    DHEC gave it a go ahead on 2-12-08 and a pole done by the local TV station said like 73% of their viewers approve of it. I don't see where it can be a good thing for me or the average person around here. Santee just increased my power bill this jan. And I heard the power made in kingsburg would be bound for the coastal areas.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have an Uncle that is the president of our local Power company. And the Board and Government in DC told them. There would not be anymore Coal Fired Plants . As they would stop production on them. Not sure when its going in effect. But I do know it killed one here in West Tn.
    It may well stop that one also.
    Pete

5. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Nobody wants coal power plant. Because we don't want the pollution and don't need any more mercury in the water we have enough like it is..?:crazy:

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Shiloh,
    Not an expert on these matters but I think Santee Cooper can get around some of the issues since they are a co-op.

7. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    BigBird I agree with U. Idon't know a whole lot about the regulations but I do know one thing. Money talks and BS walks all they have to do is pay some of Washington's finest off and they can get away with anything. When it comes to making money in this country big business don't care about the working man. Hope I didn't open another can of worms. That's all I have to say about that deal.
    PEEDEE CAT

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Were a local co-op also. That is federal not local laws. But they may well get it in before the law takes effect.
    But the coal fired plants are a thing of the past soon. Or that is what was told when our Uncle was at the energy and Power meeting in DC.
    Pete

9. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    last time I brought up the mercury problem in the pee dee I got hate mail.
    :crazy:
    NOT... but I did get some rather hostile replies. Which I find odd.

Mercury in the pee dee is ALREADY a problem. Last time I checked DHEC recommended that NO FISH be eaten out of the Little Pee Dee. NO FISH!

Big pee dee advisories come and go... Depends on how much crap NC is dumping in the water. Plus our own plants around Florence, SC, NC, Georgia and Florida.

Mercury is VERY dangerous to the young (I won't let my grand daughter eat my catfish stew), the pregnant, the elderly, or anyone who has an auto-immune disease.

The problem with the coal plant, not only will it pollute our state and coast, but also the states that are around us. Other biproducts of coal plants includes arsenic, and other dangerous chemicals.

I recently read an article from a mercury "guru" saying that the mercury would not be a threat to us or our environment. Saying that 92% of the mercury would be filtered out. WELL an average coal plant produces 400,000 lbs of mercury a year. That leaves 32,000 lbs for our environment to absorb.

NICE.. Mercury does occur naturally in nature. BUT NOT TO THIS DEGREE. If mercury is not a problem, then why does DHEC issue these warnings?

The price of building the coal plant has more than doubled since the original proposal. AND this coal plant would only have a life of 10 years. Somehow I just don't get it.

This is probably the only time I've agreed with our moronic governor.

later...
    Pappy

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron you are ALIVE. Glad to see you posting. I say go nuclear. Come on out on March 9th to the PDC metting and tell us a fishin story.:wink:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with pretty much everything, but a couple of things I would like to point out:

Sanford was totally darn quiet on the whole issue of this power plant UNTIL after pretty much everybody else came out against it and said how awful an idea it was. Now that's leadership. (NOT.)

The plant will output mercury, but the vast majority of it will end up in the food chain of other areas hundreds of miles away form here. Not that that is a good thing, all pollution is bad, but it will not add much anything to the mercury load in the Pee Dee. Our mercury is coming from discharges up to hundreds of miles (mostly) west of here.

I have heard that the reason the Pee Dee and the Edisto have bigger problems with mercury has to do with the water chemistry. The slight acidity of the black water rivers somehow makes the mercury more available for uptake by fish, etc. There is just as much mercury falling on Santee Cooper (it is an atmospheric thing, not local, it comes down everywhere), but the mercury there is less biologically available. Maybe somebody else who knows more about the chemistry of it than I do can clear that up some?

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think they should dam it up and makes a big old catfishing lake.:wink:

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No way! You lake types have plenty of water to mess around in! :wink:

Don't keep destroying our rivers!:eek:oooh:

14. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll be there. Thanks for the invite. Where do ya'll meet?

later...
    Ron

15. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    I'm with you John...hopefully the damn building days are behind us.

16. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    James i igree with you i think they shoud dam it up and make a big lake, :smile2: that way we want have a merucy making coal power plant:smile2::cool2::wink:

17. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    South Carolina actually doesn't need any more power plants. Our power consumption is actually well below our output. South Carolina has become a great exporter of electricity to places like California, who constantly have "Brown Out" problems because their environmental regulations are so strict that it's not profitable to produce electricity in that state.

The bottom line, though, is that the energy derived from this proposed power plant will be exported out of the state. It will make Santee-Cooper a lot of money, but will it benefit South Carolina? Other than a little bit of tax revenue and some mostly short-term job creation, probably not.