New Cheap Abu Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by astutzman, Mar 5, 2007.

1. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    The local Walmart jsut got a new Abu Garcia reel that I've never seen before.

It looks like a Tidewater knock off, with a line counter. The model number is A20LC-C. It has a black plastic frame, and sells for the same price as the tidewater.

Anybody use this before? I just googled the model number and couldn't find any info anywhere about this reel.

Looks to me like Abu is trying to get into the lower-end baitcasting reel market to better compete with Shakespeare.

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I saw one too , I
    would
    think it
    would
    be alright , and would try one but I don't like a line counter on my reels.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I saw one too , I would think it would be alright , and would try one but I don't like a line counter on my reels.
    Sorry ... I keep forgetting to turn off my spell check .

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I havnt seen it but to me a line counter would be counter productive, by this I mean that I would look at the line counter and say man I only threw it 25yds I thought I was going at least 100:lol: . At least I dont lie about the fish I catch :roll_eyes:

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i believe that even if it was an abu garcia 6500 or 7000 or what ever i think that they are still a cheaper version of abu kind of like walmarts guns the gun companies make lower end models to sell them cheaper you can buy a browning a5 shotgun from walmart for around 150-200 dollars cheaper so if i were you i wouldnt worry about it it may work good for you i use shakespeare supra rod reel combos for 20 dollars and wont use anything else so give it a try and see if you like it what is ther to lose

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of that model? might have to look it up.

7. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I might check it out for my self.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  9. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    probably saw it in the same store. lol

what's up with Springfield Walmarts only selling the trolling versions of these reels? do we even have lakes here that are big enough to do serious trolling in?

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Good luck find much of anything for catfishing in Spfld Walmart hehe.. I read on here all the time about all the killer deals people find at thier local walmart clearance... Here we just get Dart and Dart ends and some BASS plastic grubs on sale :crazy:

11. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't seen it yet. That gives me reason to go to WALLY WORLD.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    You can see the complete line of new Abu reel at the site of their importer/wholesaler. The company is called " Pure Fishing " I think.

The bums took the free spool push button off the 7000C3 and replaced it with a lever for free-spooling. To me, that's an idea about as good as New Coke was...

13. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I checked out Pure fishing and abugarcia.com and couldn't find the model they have at Walmart. It's almost like Abu's too ashamed to advertise it.

On another note,though, Abu's giving ten dollars back to anyone who buys a new abu garcia reel over $29.99 this year. Here's the link to the coupon.

http://information.cabelas.com/pdf/ag10.pdf

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nope, havent seen it either, hey sub net get some darts and if ya ever make it up here ill kick your butt in darts.:lol:

15. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so....has anybody tried this reel yet? I saw a couple at the wally world today and was thinking of trying one. How is it?

Josh

16. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I have not seen this reel at wally world but on there site abu shows two models i believe in the 5500 size and 6500 size both line counters MSRP around 100 bucks i cant beleive wally world is buying enough to sell them that cheap or are they the same reels or do they really have lesser quality models made specifically for there stores ?:baffle:

17. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio