New channel catfish/carp combo?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by charlesthecarpmaster, Sep 1, 2009.

1. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do cat/carp fishing, bass fishing, and pan-fishing. However, I love my cat/carp fishing! I have two cat/carp rods as of now, one is one of those Shakespeare Tiger spinning combo's that you see at Wally World all the time. This thing has the cranking power! I had gotten caught up in a tree from a cast, and already mad from losing a rod 5 minutes before this, I just start cranking! I rip the whole branch out of the tree! LOL! But I've caught around 6 fish with it this season, biggest being a 23" carp.

On the other hand, I have a Zebco 33 on a 6' MH action Shakespeare Ranger rod. I don't much like the rod but the reel is nice! It's been unlucky this fishing season, and I haven't caught a big fish on it yet! Biggest was a 12" channel cat! Which is actually my PB catfish :angry:

But anyway, I love both of those rods and reels, but am thinking about stepping it up, or virtually leaping, to a Shimano Bait-runner, on a Berkley GlowStik. It will be around $200, which is EXTREMELY expensive for me. I want to ask people around how they like their Shimano bait-runner or berkley glow stik. I have also thought about switching the glow stik out with a shakespeare ugly stik tiger rod. I prefer 7' medium action spinning rods, and the thick catfish rods, not the thinner bass ones.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a berkley glow stick and they are very nice rods, id recommend them, and welcome to the BOC :smile2:

3. Badfinger

Badfinger Guest

I just picked up a Berkley Glow Stick spinning rod in the 8 ft model. How do you like your rod? What size is it? What type of reel do you use on it? What do you use the rod for (type of fish you fish for)?

4. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Baitrunner's are very nice. I don't really use clickers, so I prefer Penn Slammers. I've never used a Tiger, but I'm a big fan of Ugly Stick rods, my favorite being an "intercoastal" model.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    welcome to the BOC

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Charles:wink:

7. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't have a Berkley Glow Stick yet. I was asking if anyone else had one and if they were any good. If I do get one, I am going to get the 7' medium action 2-piece spinning rod, and use a Shimano Baitrunner in it's smallest size, and around 17 lb. Stren or Big Game. I will be fishing for carp and channel catfish.

8. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    dont have to spend that much to get a quality combo for fishing carp and catties check your local shops and they might have a spinmaster combo for about 30 or 40 bucks or just do what I did and put a nice big reel onto a med-heavy ugly stick. saved me a bunch of dough

9. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those walmart special tiger spinning combos are awesome at 19.99

10. tightlines10

tightlines10 New Member

State:
    california
    I don't have a glow rod but i have used my friends. They are very nice and soon ima get on i do recommend it.

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've been shopping around for a spinning reel with the baitrunner on it myself..Everyone told me the same thing go with the shimano but with a price tag of over 100 bucks well I'm sorry but I can't afford that right now..Finally us members of the Catfish Syndicate were offered a deal on some Okuma reels @ prices that were alot more affordable for me..Check out the Okuma Avenger ABF-65 for around 50 bucks..I haven't recieved it yet but have heard some good reviews on them and look forward to using my new one soon..As far as rods I like the Tiger just fine and it is also affordable..

12. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Hey Charles, Jeremy here from Ashland. If you like Zebco you can pick up a new 808 magnum(pre spooled with 25lb test) for around $30 and a Catfish Ugly Stik for around $40 in a 7 or 8 ft MH. However most people on here don't like Zebco spincasts, but I never had a problem with mine when I was using it. I did change the line to Berkley Big Game 25lb, the factory line was pretty cheap stuff. Since joining the BOC I've switched to a Abu Garcia 6600cb Ambassadeur bait casting with an 8ft catfish ugly stik. I picked up two 6600 ABU for $55.00 each on eBay. I think once you learn to use a baitcast, you won't go back. I let my wife use the 808 now, she doesn't even want to try to learn baitcasting. Congrats on becoming a member, you'll not find a more informative place on the net for catfishing and friends.

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. I had a glow stick once.It was a good rod. But I shut it in the tailgate one night of fishing. Decent rod for the money, and it glows which is a plus.

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    first welcome to the BOC

now if you are set on a baitrunner reel and 17lb test line then i'd suggest one of two options. first if you want to use 17lb line on the smallest shimano baitrunner (the 3500B) holds 185 yds on 15lb line that may leave a little undergunned going against a 23in carp i'd suggest switching to braid you can fit 300 yds of 20lb braid with 10 yds of 20lb mono backing and you're set. second if you really want to use mono go with an okuma epixor EB-50 its a slightly larger reel(and half the price) than the 3500B and will hold 250 yds of 17lb mono also this reel comes with a spare spool so its a win win situation. i have both and you cannot go wrong either way.hope this helps you out.