new chainsaw 650 big boy garage special

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 8, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a while back i had a thread asking for opinnions on chainsaw brands. i was looking into a new one for firewood work. after having trouble with and now would never reccomend or buy another mcculloch brand i went with an echo cs-440. i love it. 45 cc 18" and got a 20" bar too. later i got a cs 305 echo powerhead off ebay for $70. a $199 saw new. both work and start flawlessy. have a 34cc poluan too but rarly ever use it lol. its a loner saw for helpers hahaha.

any how last week i was garage saleing and happened apon an echo 650 evl. looked like it was in pretty good shape with an aftermarket oregon 20" bar and like new chain. i asked the woman about it and she said it was her husbands fathers. she called her husband and he said he was told it was serviced by a shop and ran 2 years ago by his pop. had $25 tag on it. so i yanked on it for 15 min with no luck. came back with fresh gas a while later and spoke to her husband. his dad said it ran last time he used it 2-3 years ago.

put new gas in it and tried for another 15 min with barely any effort to start. he called his dad to see if it had any special need to fire. his dad said he didnt want it back and if i wanted to fool with it make an offer. i said the bar and chain is worth $15 so ide give them $15 if they would take it. walked off with it.

took it home and had no luck starting it. gas began running from the exaust. wasnt fireing real good so i took apart magneito and cleaned. started sparking great then. after it sat all night with plug out and dried it started right up. flooded,lol. took entire saw apart cleaned it real good inside and out including the carb that looked like new. after adjusting the carb and printing off a new owners manual off echos website the thing starts after a couple pulls and runs great. glad i got manual too. it is a 20:1 mix and i was gonna run 50:1 like my new ones.:eek:oooh:

the new 670 echos market here for $519.99. this bad boy is all cast aluminum housing and packs a 64.2 cc motor. just went ahead and got a new sthil blade for it while i have the new one edged. now i just need to stalk out a tall handsome barked victom to try it out on. got one heck of a deal. been hitting town sales every weekend thei past month in my area. getting all sorts of deals like this. another one to hit tomorrow. need a junk saw for $5 with a good case for the 650 now.:smile2:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man im a new fan of garage and estate sales. just picked up a 2 hp elect remington 14" chainsaw for $6. works like its new. and has a sthil blade on it. the same sthil blade i got as a second for it was $12.98. so the saw was almost free if ya think about it. got it for cutting up smaller stuff at home to save gas dollars. usually bring that stuff home in 6' to 8' chunks to cut at home.

got a craftsman pole saw with loppers for $4.

now i have 5 chainsaws.:roll_eyes: man oh man. and only 2 hands.:smile2: