New catfishing rod and reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bankpoleken, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I am wanting to purchase a new rod and reel for catfishing and have been looking at this particular rod and reel. I would appreciate any comments, either pro or con, regarding this particular rod and reel. Thanks for your help.
    A relatively new rod has been introduced to catfishing - the brand name is Surge. These casting and spinning rods are 7‘ 10" and come in medium heavy and heavy actions. They have stainless steel guides. If anyone has been using this series, would you please give your opinion of this rod, especially the spinning rod version. Also, how does this rod compare to other rods such as the "Ugly Stik, Tiger"?

The Shimano "Baitrunner" reels consistently get good reviews. Okuma introduced the Avenger "Bait Feeder" spinning reel last year. It is certainly less expensive and appears reasonably well made. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this reel. How does it compare to other spinning reels

2. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I would want ceramic guides on the rod instead of stainless steel because I sometimes use PowerPro or similar lines on my reels and they will eventually wear through stainless steel. But, if you only planned to use mono, they would be alright. Where do you buy these rods and how much do they cost?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not familar with the rod you are asking about. I use the Quantium Big Cat rod in m/h and it does a fine job. Wish I could help.

4. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard high reveiws on the surge rods where did you find em I've looked for em online and could not find em if you found em local I live pretty close to you
    I have the Okuma Epixor EB 65 Baitfeeder reel it cost me $90 and I like it alot I think my next reel will be the shimano 6500 batfeeder reel

5. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    but think of it this way. With proper care the reel will probably last the rest of your life and beyond. You can list it in your will for the next generation.

6. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    A friend of mine was telling me about this rod. He said it was shown to him at the Catfish Connection in Pana. He said he thought that it may have just arrived their as it is a new rod.