New Catfishing Rig

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by ivan09193, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, I just went down to the store and got myself a Tiger Spinning combo, from Shakespeare. Seven feet long, 12 lb. test line, medium action. I haven't tried it out yet, but I plan to go fishing this evening. Any thoughts on it?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Aaron, It sounds to me like you got a dandy rig. You just need to get the line stretched by a big ol cat. Let us know how you like it. And also, welcome to the Brotherhood. Good luck tonight.

st

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    congrate .there good got my son one not to long ago but his has like 20lb test prespooled.he landed a 3 ft gar on it this morning it did good well worth 20 bucks.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds like a good rig! Let us know how you do.

5. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    good luck tonite

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on the new rig, I hope you catch a monster catfish. Good luck brother.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There good rigs,that what i lost my heavyweight on last year. I know he was a JimDandy,wished I could've brought him up but He was STRONG!!!---:sad2:

8. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like you got a good rig.

9. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Good rig,one of my sons has a tiger spincast version and does real well with it.

10. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    good luck tonight, u gotta good solid rig, good choice, hope to c some big cat pics 2morrow

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I guess i'm going to be the dissenting vote. My brother has one and it seems really cheap to me.

12. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My cousin got a combo like that and he has thus far been very satisfied with it.

13. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought one, and it worked ok for a while, and for the price it is great, but don't bet you big ones on it. My rod eventually broke, but the reel went first, the drag was not good enough for the carp I was fishing for. For basic channels and fish under 20 it is pretty good, but big fish made it sound and feel like it was breaking.

14. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    hey Bro, that is the same rod I just relined 10 min. ago and I like it well, I landed 20+ on it. Did not have a problem. Just be sure to keep it lubed. I just strung mine with thirty and a 50 lb. Gamatsu cat catcher, it has a 100 lb. swivel. I am going tonight also, so good luck to you.

15. d1d1d

d1d1d New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I also have this Shakespeare Tiger combo and like it
    very much. I replaced the mono line with 30 lb. braid.
    It both casts and trolls very well. The rod alone is worth
    the cost. The reel works very well, also.

Good choice and good fishing!

16. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. But, of course, you will make your final judgements after you have used it for awhile. Sometimes you have to use something for awhile before you can determine if it performs the way you expected or wanted it to.

Anyway, congrats on the new rig. And, I hope it performs well for you.

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My message may have sounded a little more negative than I intended about the rod. I would but one again and use it for normal fishing and most fish, but I wouldn't put on a 8/0 hook and 2oz weight with a live bluegill and go for the monsters, but the rod should be plenty for most fish. Like sentry said, as long as you like it. Mine lasted over 1 year, before the reel wore out, even with maintanence, but the rod lasted another year, then encountered a grass carp that was easily over 30, and I missed the fish after it snapped the rod on the bank, but 2 years on a rod for less than $30, you will like it.