New Catfishing Club Member Needs Help

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katlover, Jan 27, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    I live in southern california and we have mostly channel catfish in our lakes and rivers. I mostly fish in lakes, but I do know some rivers that are hooked to small lakes in gated communities. I think it's illegal to fish in them but i've done it anyways. Does anyone have tips for lake fishing. Bait, rods, reels, line or rigs. anything helps.
    Thanks

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    First of all welcome to the BOC!! You will find a tremendous ammount of info here. Take a look through the different forums. You will undoubtly find answers specific to your region.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    first of all if its illegal you shouldnt be fishing there but thats a sermon for a different day.as far as bait goes for channels,they like cured liver pretty good,bluegill heads,nightcrawlers,live blugill ect.Rod med/heavy should be good,like an ugly stick,american premier,an 8 footer is a good all around size.As far as reels thats just what your preference is,i like Abu baitcasters but some like spinning reels,make sure it can hold at least 20# test.I like the cajun red line myself but your going to get a hundred different answers as far as rods reels and line oh and hooks.Some love circle hooks some hate them,i use them depending on what kind of bait im using but my favorite hook is the kahle hook,you can use it like a circle hook or you can set the hook yourself its the best of both worlds.
    Just hang around the BOC for awhile,the folks here will be having you fishing like a pro in no time,make sure you check out the section on informative member posts,tons of good info there.Good luck and will see you around the BOC.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Katlover, go knock on some doors an get permission to fish. Nothing irkes a landowner more than finding someone trespassing. He may call the law.
    On the other hand if you go introduce yourself, 9 times outta 10 the guy will say yes. Then ask what rules he has then follow them to the letter.
    Take all your trash with you when you leave, and pick up any trash others have left behind. If you are the only one supposed to be down there let him know you found it.
    Make sure to say hello and goodbye when you use his land,so he knows when you are about.
    One other thing, don't bring all your friends. Its your reputation with the owner if they do ignorant stuff. Then you'll be out.

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

CAN'T AGREE MORE!!:)

fRANK

6. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I will be fishing like a pro with the help that everyone gives me on this website.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jacob, you don't need to spend a lot of $$ on special equipment. Probably, most of what you already have will work fine - just learning how to best use it will help out a bunch. There's a lot of great catfishing in SoCal, and some really experienced catment from your area here in the BOC. One of them caught an 80# blue last year out of Lake Irvine, I believe. So take some time to read as much as you can here, there's tons of good tips & techniques. Have fun learning & trying new things, and remember to respect private property & fishing regs too. And welcome to the BOC :0a25:

8. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
  9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    as far as rods go, ya cant beat an ugly. as far as spinning or baitcasting its up to your personal preference. as far as line goes, i like twenty lb test, i mostly fish fer eatin size ones. fer bait, its best to experiment. i have good luck with channels using earthworms and hotdogs, but like i said, its best to experiment. hope this helps!
    oh and welcome to the BOC!

10. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    thank you all for the information you gave me and thanks for welcoming me to the boc

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Katlover, welcome to the site. Dont forget to look in our library.
    We're looking forward to hearing about some of your techniques.

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    welcome to the BOC kat.I totally agree ask permission to fish there then get the tips from the land owner,more often than not they will help you as long as you dont do anything destructive to his property.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you dont mind the gated community homeowners coming to your house and raiding your fridge and taking your tools, then by all means keep sneaking in. We have lots of the gated ones in my hometown, but often you can find a way in legally if you really try. Often they want you to catch and release only. Always offer your host CLEANED fish for their gift of letting you fish. Perhaps you can trade out trash pick up for fishing rights. Be creative, but above all be honest, trustworthy, and dependable.:D