New Catfishing Club member from California Needs Help

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by katlover, Jan 26, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    I'm new to catfishing(well actually i've been going about once or twice every summer for the past five years)and need some serious help. I live in moreno valley and I mostly go to lake elsinore. does anyone have tips on rods, reels, bait, or rigs? Anything will help.
    Thanks

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First I would like to welcome you to the BOC, Brother!!!

I am not familiar with your area as I am in KY ,but I can sugjest a few things that might help you in your adventures.
    I would recomend you use a rod with good backbone, such as a tiger Uglystick M/H (The Yellow Ones) and A good baitcaster such as the ABU6000 or 7000. I would also recomend you use a line suitable to the fish you are targeting. I never use a line under 20lb test for cats. For larger cats you need to use shad for bait or mackrel (cut or whole) as long as it is fresh. Hooks I would recomend7/0 to 10/0 kahle hooks. and hang on Brother!!!

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I don't know anything about your area but I'm sure you will get plenty of help here, I just wanted to say welcome to the BOC.
    :0a25:

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. "Katlover"

I also live in California (San Leandro), in the San Francisco Bay Area. I fish the Ca. Delta alot, you will get mostly Channels Cats in California (in so.calif you may get some Blues) so I agree 100% with Dreadnaught on all of the fishing gear that you will need.
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Katlover

Welcome aboard brother,

IF there is a spillway to this lake and a decent river below, I've had great success using bobbers and cutbait at PRESPAWN. At this time I believe they come up river to feed at the dams. start up close than work your way down stream a bit. Don't ever think that the water is tooooo high either. You will have to look to see where they will be staging and if they are there its a blast.

Not sure what time in the spring the PRESPAWN would be there but its the only time I fish fer Channels here in Ohio.

GOOD HUNTING
    "Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

6. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    Thank you for all of the information you gave me brothers. I'm sure it will help me out a lot. I also thanks you for welcoming me tothe BOC. IT's very nice of you. Thanks.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I use a medium/heavy ugly stick and a medium to heavy Okuma spinning real ( I like the long crank arm on my reel) with 30 pound spider wire and i'm comfortable and sure it will hold as large a fish as i'm able to catch in this area. Now if i was fishing for 50 + pound fish i would go with heavier gear but thats unlikely.

Welcome katlover and good luck just stick to the water and eventually you're turn at fish will come sometimes you have to put some hours in before that day comes but when it does you forget about all those hours.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Katlover! I dont know your area, but the advice on gear is good!

9. colesuncle

colesuncle New Member

State:
    nebraska
    You might try the shakespeare tiger rod reel combo. This has brought in wany fish without a problem at all and it comes in spinning and spin cast versions

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the family Katlover. Make yourself at home brother.

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Katlover, you are about an hour from where I live. If I may say this try to get fresh mackeral.
    In April, we are having gathering at the Colorado river, please feel free to join us.

Jaime

12. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Lake Elsinore or smell-some-more as some of us call it is ok for catfishing. Actually, Lake Perris is pretty darn good, and that is relatively close to you too. Not many guys hit it for cats, mostly bass fisherman, and they have some pretty decent sized cats in there. Diamond Valley is also pretty good with the cats, for numbers. Silverwood is really good for cats also - consistent at the spillway. Hit me up if you want any info on any other lakes too.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you hit Lake Elsinore you should also look at Lake Skinner which is better for cats IMO. You got good info on the gear. There are some good socal fishing bros here. Muskyman knows his stuff so he can give great advice on many lakes. I am making it a point to try Silverwood this year and seek out the cats there.

14. eaglecat

eaglecat New Member

State:
    california
    Howka, Katlover;
    Welcome to the Brotherhood, all the rigs, the Bro's
    recommended are great, I am from Southern Cal. but
    live in Redding, Lake Elsinore holds good Channels, I
    don't think any Blues, but might be some there, good
    baits would be, shad, mackrel, anchovies, ripe schrimp,
    and various types of processed foods, welcome again,
    Thats all for now,Thanks John.

Big Trebles=Big Cats:)

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm down here in Orland just about an hour south of you. I normally fish the Sac from the bank with no luck so far, or Black Butte Lake, where I've caught a number of bass up to about 2 oe 3 pounds, and a LOT of cats, up to 14 pounds. I'm really interested in finding out more about Lake Shasta and other waterways up in your neck of the woods. I've got a little 2 or 3 man aluminum boat with a 9.8 horse power motor and as I understand things, two strokes are not allowed in Lake Shasta? If that's accurate, I'd like to know about the bank fishing up there. Any good for LARGE cats? Anything you could tell me would be helpful.

Thanks. :)

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the Brotherhood AllenM. Great to see a new California brother.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: "AllenM" to the B.O.C.

Glad to have you aboard! :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

18. billyl

billyl New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to BOC!

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    good to see new california peeps. welcome aboard.

20. calicatman

calicatman New Member

State:
    California
    :cool:Hey Katlover,I would recommend using a medium \heavy action 7`,6"Shakespeare rod and reel combo spooled with 30lb Cajun red line.Hooks bleeding red octopus#2\0 works best for me baited with cut Mackerel on a 1ounce wieght. With this set up I personally landed a huge cat reffered to by one witness as the record catfish at Stevens Creek Reservior back in late Dec.,2005 .My guestimate this cat weighed about a good whoopin` 45lbs to 55lbs and was 3`10" in long. Calicatman fishin` Southbay (SFBay Area) and venturing out in hunt of Cali`s Largest cat.