New Catfisherman with a couple questions..

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dropnbassonu, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dropnbassonu

dropnbassonu New Member

State:
    NC
    Hi everybody,

I apologize in advance for all the questions I am about to ask. I am just about as hooked on fishing as my brand new swimbait was the other day on that limb :embarassed:

I am new to this site, and new to catfishing (3 months). I live in Winston Salem and have a small boat down on Badin, so that is where I do almost all of my fishing. My question is, like many of you, how do I catch a huge one? I mean I wanna feel like I'm pulling a tree outta the water..

I know people use fresh bait to catch the big ones. What type of bait- shad, perch, bream? Do you use live, and if so how do you rig it? If not live, do you cut it up and use only the head, tail, or the whole thing?

Also, do people mostly drift or anchor? If you drift, do you bottom bounce your offering, or suspend it? I know it probably depends on where your depthfinder is showing them, but I have no clue what I'm doing. If you anchor, are they in the super deep water (125ft), or the shallower waters? I would imagine it depends on the time of the year?

I am open to any ideas, techniques that may work for you. I don't want you to spill any secrets, if you have any, but just informative advice.

You all are the best, and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

-James

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    welcome to the boc jamescheck out the library on here it has a lot of info in it good luck

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    welcome to the BOC ,hope u get a lot of responses i want more info on badin myself .check out N.C. gathering at badin lake

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the boc my friend, let me see if i could address your questions to the best of my ability. How to catch big ones? Because of natural selection there will be many more smaller fish then the super large ones,it takes many escapes from bigger fish for most spiecies of fish just to reach maturity. catch and release also ensures larger fish. To get them on your hook, well try using larger bait. This keeps the smaller ones from getting hooked. use about a 5-6 ot hook. If your gonna get a big one, it will best to go after blues or flatheads both like live bait, and both won't pass up a free meal with cut bait . I would use bream or large gizzard shad. Whole, cut or just head they will all work. If you can find you a good flat, drifting would be ideal, you cover more ground. suspend about a foot or two. If, you can find a good hole drop an anchor and try advertising w/ some chum. cut up some bream real good then put it in a mesh onion bag w/ some weight so it stays in one place, suspend about 4 feet from the bottom. the oils will call um in. 10, 20 30 feet is good enough. 125 feet not nescessary. not saying there not there, there may be some thing there, im just thinkin thats alot of anchor rope. leave that depth for stripers and warsaw grouper. the fish in your area should be spawning soon if they are not already. find you a cove at around 10 feet w/ some stumps or timber on the bottom, then try the stationary/chum/suspended method. see what happens, it works for me.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Stick with the basics brother! Find good holes that come from a good drop off. If you can, try to fish the whole way down (one line in shallow, another along the drop off, and another deep in the hole). Look for some current but if you're after flats you dont need alot, just moving water. Some folks catch them in still waters but I have not had any luck with that. For bait, use what ever is the natural baitfish in your waters. Bluegill, shad, skips, etc. Ive tried livers, stink bait, hot dogs...you name it. Stick with the natural baits and you'll save yourself some money. Ive also caught some on night crawlers. Set up your rods with a variety and see what works best then switch over to that. I fish for flats and channels and this works for me. Good luck out there!

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey james- I finally found you. Throw back a couple of responses to get your 10 out of the way.
    Welcome and find the Carolina Catfish club forum down near the bottom and introduce yourself. :cool2:

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Hey James
    welcome to site. I also live (near) Winston Salem and also have a boat at Badin:smile2:
    I'll say this for sure....Badin is Hero or Zero big fish turn on and off like a light switch. a switch that stays off alot. Stick to the basics like was said earlier and Badin will reward you. when the water turns real cold below 50 degrees or so I quit drifting, the bite is to slow for moving bait. as the water warms above 60 I start catching channel cats and white cats, water is around 70 right now and drifting has already found me 5 or so blues, biggest was 32 lbs last weekend. I am still borderline anchor or drifting right now but once the water gets to mid 70s I will drift mostly until the water cools again. I anchor if fishing for flatheads but I stay mostly to the blues.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    James, welcome aboard.

Most folks are not going to sit here and type out everything you need to do to catch fish. First, it has already been written down somewhere on this site. Second, there are too many juggers and commercial guys lurking that offer nothing and just take!

So, sit back and do some reading and feel free to come out to the next Carolina Catfish Club meeting on May 11th at the Gander Mountain store in Mooreseville, NC at 7:00pm. Roundhill will be there taking questions from the members and I am sure you can learn a LOT!! :eek:oooh:

9. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What is your fav catfish bait/rig :roll_eyes:

10. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    anyone have good new baits:cool2:

11. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC James.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the BOC..
    My favorite rig, is to run my mainline directly to my hook, usually a 7/0-10/0 King Kahle. about 18" up from that, I put on 2 pinch weights about the size of a large pea. above that , I clip on a snap swivel over the line, with about 18" of light line to a 2-5 oz, bank sinker..
    Toss it all out, and keep the spool in neutral, clicker on, line snug, and get ready!!

Sometimes, just live bait, with a small pinch weight or 2 about 12-18" from that, and let the fish swim into some structure. Keep 'm out of the structure if possible,,
    Good luck