new catfish boat project!! 21' sylvan deep v

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by biga, Aug 21, 2008.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well the cats out of the bag! :wink: i picked up another project boat last week to replace my little 16ft bayliner.. its a 21' aluminum sylvan deep v with a 140mercruiser inboard.. this thing has some really deep sides so it is perfect for fishing the ohio when the water gets up!! as soon as i hear the engine run i will be stripping the floor out of it and putting down some new wood painted and sealed with tuff coat paint.. then a trip to ba$$ pro for some seat$!! here are the only pics i have right now but when i pull it out of the shop tomorrow i will get some more [better] pics ..

Attached Files:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck on the new project, that should make ya a great cat boat.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    You dirty dog, great looking boat! I want the tour when I get there :smile2:

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those are good solid boats. 140 is a Chevy isn't it? Check all the rubber well. The bellows especially. An easy replacement in a boat like that. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

5. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    there is a sealant called POR that will bond to rust or can be used as a rhino lining sealant.It is very tough but with less weight that rhino or line x.Friend used it on his 16ftr and said it was great.Sweet boat worth some time and MONEY!!

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Congrats on the new boat bro. Just wondering. Since you're gonna replace the floor,are you gonna leave the windshield? I did one similar to yours a while back. I made it a center console. I don't fish rivers,but on lakes it seems easier to manuever around w/ the center console. Just a thought.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If there's room, you might want to consider using some van or SUV seats instead of bass fishing type seats. Weld a metal plate across the bottom, attach your mounting hardware, and they install and remove just like a bass fisherman type seat. But, you have a more comfortable seat that has a headrest and reclines for those naps between bites. For a cover for them, you can scrounge an old single size waterbed mattress, cut it in half, and fit each half down over a seat. Tie at the bottom so it doesn't blow off, and you've got a no-cost cover.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam congrats on the find. That is a nice looking boat and perfect for the Ohio. Good luck on the project.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well i finaly got a chance to work on the boat some more today so dh,stoney and ryan came down to the shop to crack the whip while i got to work.:smile2:. i got the carb rebuilt,and remounted on the engine while eric and stoney removed the swim platform so we can replace the wood on it..ryan took the buffer to the side of the boat and polished about half of it to look like new before i had i ready to test fire!! we pulled it out of the shop and put the ears on it and fired it up!! it was running a little ruff so stoney and i started checking plugs and ended up needing to close the gap on the ignition point a little and it smoothed right out.... after they left i wanted to get a little farther before i quit so i pulled the lower unit off of the outdrive to inspect the water pump and found out it was junk so i will get a new pump kit tomorrow and hopefully get it in the water for a test run this weekend!!!:cool2:

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    That is a good find,i'd love to have somthin like that for cattin.good luck.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    forgot i did get a couple pics inside the shop before i got started..

Attached Files:

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    a few more

Attached Files:

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Did Eric work? Or just bark out the orders?:smile2:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i love a deep v thay are good and stable in the water

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One thing you may not have thought about checking is the trailer tires. Not just the condition, but the load rating. Back in the 1970s I bought a 20' Robalo deep-V with a 135 Evinrude, on a single axle trailer. I had trouble with blowouts until I did some checking on my weight and tire rating. I was max loaded! I spent the bucks for some high capacity RV tires and solved the problem.

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice find Adam! She's a big ol girl for sure, ought to make a fine big water cat rig. Let me know when your ready to do the floor and I'll come down and give ya a hand.

17. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like she 'll make a fine caten boat

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Nice boat Adam, let me know if you need help with anything

19. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice boat. I am sure you will have her looking pretty good when your done. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the mods you make...

20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    that was actually the first thing i did when i got it was checked the tires ... i have a new set that have the same weight capacity as the tires on it and they look like they have been on it for ever!! so i should be ok ........ i did get a free couple hours friday and put the new water pump and a new drive shaft seal in it ... this water pump was about the worst i have ever seen!! it only had 2 blades left on it and they were hard as a rock!! i hope to be able to work on it some more this week sometime but i am trying to get a new bigger shop so if i end up moving then i will have to put the boat aside for a few weeks.......:sad2:

Attached Files: