The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
10,484 Posts
Rick, can be you be a little more negative. You positive attitude is depressing.

Of course if you get too negative there would be no reason to go fishin.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How was it accurate? I switched catfish rod brands and went with Big Cat Fever Casting Heavy for BIG blue cats. And i wouldn't call them "broomsticks". ;)
I have the BCF H and XH casting rods and neither are what I would call a "broomstick". Both have tips that are sensitive in accordance with the rating of the rods. I have an old XXH saltwater boat rod...now, "THAT" is a broomstick!!!!!

·
Administrator
10,484 Posts
I have absolutely no problem using my medium heavy rods on the Ohio River or even White River where I expect to catch 20# and above fish.

when I am channel cat fishing I use my medium power rods.

The only thing I would change would be to make manufacturers comply with standards so the rod rating actually meant something. I would require the same standard for hook sizing.

Slomo can take his medium rod to the Ohio, Missouri, Mississippi, Potomac, or James and see how it handles a 60+ pounder, before he gets a heavier rod. It would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Agreed. Just because his pond fishing doesn't require it doesn't mean others don't need it. And how does a broomstick used by someone else in another state effect his fishing in his state?
I have absolutely no problem using my medium heavy rods on the Ohio River or even White River where I expect to catch 20# and above fish.

when I am channel cat fishing I use my medium power rods.

The only thing I would change would be to make manufacturers comply with standards so the rod rating actually meant something. I would require the same standard for hook sizing.

Slomo can take his medium rod to the Ohio, Missouri, Mississippi, Potomac, or James and see how it handles a 60+ pounder, before he gets a heavier rod. It would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
774 Posts
100% We all fish different conditions from the bank or a boat.......A MH rod at some of the spots I bank fish on the Missouri (especially) and Mississippi Rivers the MH rods will bend over backwards in the currents and will not handle the sinker weights needed to hold the bait down....thus, heavier rods are the only remedy. In still waters like lakes, sloughs, and backwaters off the rivers the MH rods are superb. For me, its not the size of the fish, but the conditions I fish that dictate what I use.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using 20 ounce weights which are heavier than they list for max lure weight. All of them do great as do all of my buddies Big Cat Fever heavy casting rods. When I don't fish the current I drop weight size but when there is a very good chance of catching 60lb plus I like to keep using the heavy rods.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,078 Posts
These guys know how to make a rod. I have 4 in Med and Med Hvy and have fished with the Heavy action. I would expect a lot of backbone that comes quick in the action with a little bit softer tip comparatively. It will move a fish when paired with the correct reel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
These guys know how to make a rod. I have 4 in Med and Med Hvy and have fished with the Heavy action. I would expect a lot of backbone that comes quick in the action with a little bit softer tip comparatively. It will move a fish when paired with the correct reel.
I mean are we looking at a beefier rod than the XH series?

Just don't guess that I get the point in an entirely new rod lineup when all bases are covered in their m-xh lineup lol

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,078 Posts
I'm just guessing but with a lot of people liking composite rods these days it wouldn't surprise me if they were composite. That would generally lend to being a little faster action and lighter weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts