New Cartridge from Remington

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by katfish ken, Dec 21, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Has any one done any research on the new 6.8 MM Remington has come out with and what is your opinion?????? I'll throw my opinion in later..:wink:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ken,There was a thread about the 6.8 in here a while back,Im not sure where it went. Any way for arguments sake,to me ,I see no real value in the 6.8 . It really doesnt fill any niche. There are quite a few other calibers I would rather own than this one.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd not heard of it,,, sounds awful close to .270 dia. ,

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Greg
    You just catch on way to fast.:wink:
    From what I've read it is a short 30cal.hulls necked down to the 270 or 6.8mm bullet.Muzzle speed is around 2600fps. which is a bit slower than the 270 WIn. the way I got it figured by hand loading the 270 with the same bullet it will be a far superior round than the6.8mm Remington.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Way I got it Ken, is that it came about in responce to special ops request for a better round that the AR platform could support. It's in limited survice now, but think the NATO agreement will keep it limited for awhile.
    If it works out, it might replace the 5.56 in the future.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Yep that is about the same thing I was getting from what I had read. When I first heard about it I was thinking WOW NEW TOY TIME!!! but once I got to doing some research on it, think I'll just stick to my old 270.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Ken,, It's just numbers!!!!:big_smile: Nothing wrong with it, but like Richard basically said,,, "Why" :tounge_out:

I was thinkin' they were probably putting it in a short case,, but, could've gone the other way...and the .270 Weatherby already exists.....

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dunno, I'm still up in the air on this one. Barrett Firearms ( famouse for making the .50 BMG a household name ) has thrown alot of research into this caliber round and built an A/R around it, model REC7, and billing it as their medium size game rifle. They are even marketing their own 6.8 cal round. Time will tell.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I wonder what case they're using??? or similar to..

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Greg,I am not sure ,But I was under the impression ,they started with a .223 case necked up to .270 as a base cartridge,in the beginning stages.

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Barrett Rifles dot com has some ballistic info on thier 6.8, they are using a Sierra Match King 115 grain bullet, part # 1615b, HPBT w/cannelure.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What do you guys think about the 17 Remington Fireball ??? At almost 4000 fps thats one smoking little round. I was thinking about buying one but would like to hear from somebody who has one or has shot one. I have a 17 HMR but would like the centerfire advantage of the fireball.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    They based it on the 30 Remington cartridge. Necked it down and shortened it a bit I think to about the length of the 223 round. I think I read on Ruger website they have adopted it into the mini14.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It would depend on what you're wanting the cartridge to do. If you want center fire advantage I'd look hard at the 22-250 great long range varmint getter. It spits a bullet out at about35 to 3800 fps if I remember right.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know nothing of ar- type rifles, but if they want a better round than the 5.56 in the same platform why not the ar-10? .308 packs a hell of a lot more punch and knockdown on a human target, the rifle is already familiar to the troops and round is proven. maybe a civilian like me doesn't know anything...

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm not familiar with the .30 cal. Remington but that is the case they built the cartridge around. They shortened it a bit and necked it down to a 270 cal. bullet. Muzzle velocity is about 2600fps. The way I understand it the cartridge is about the same length as the .223 round. They are probably doing it so the troops can carry more rounds than they could if they were using the 308. That's the reason the 223 was developed to start with.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The .30 Rem, is a Rimless .30-30,, in case capacity... Necked down to .270 with the right bullet, 2600 FPS seems about right..

don't know if it does anything I need, but, it sounds about right..

Not a lot different than the 7.62 x AK... with 139 gr 30 cal.. so,, ????

The military needs more bullet weight than the .223, maybe the 62's and 70's aren't getting the job done.....308 ammo is too bulky...? They'll figure it out,, and then, the Troops that can get it, will STILL shoot he .308!!:eek:oooh:

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    For hunting purposes I don't see there would be any advantage to the round, other than the fact that it would fit in a short action gun like the Model 7 Remington. Lock time might be a little faster. It might make a good beginner gun for youth. I'll stock with the 308 or 270 as well. I already have them and see myself running out to buy a new gun right off, unless it is a small caliber. A fellow is wanting my Mini-14 if he can find the funds.

19. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    As far as the troops are concerned, the additional weight of carrying a full ration of 6.8 compared to 5.56 is going to add up. They are already humping so much weight, alot more than the Nam era troops carried.
    I also hear that the 308 is being surpassed by the 338 Lapua Mag for sniper use.