new cabalas ac units for tents campers

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 3, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very interesting, hopefully someone chimes in.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jeremy
    Ive got that same little unit and it does work really well........find you a plastic container about the size of the ice hopper and freeze the blocks whole and use them. Works alot better and last longer than using cubes..... One word of caution though...put a towel down under it.......water tends to leak from the mister nozzle and run down the unit. Us fat boys gotta have A/C even when we camping !!!!!!

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I seen a program on TV about a State Park campground in FL I think. Folks there were using regular 110 volt 6,000 btu airconditioners on there tents. They just set them on a milk crate and with a hole cut in the tent and duct tape they were good to go.

The park was griping about the electric usage and the campsites were not wired heavy enough for this type of use. lol

Hey these new tents don't cost a fortune and that nylon fabric dosent unravel, so it looked like a heck of a good idea to me. Room airconditioners can be had for about a hundred bucks. The new ones are smaller and lighter than they used to be.

Just a dumb thought that really works. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cold Air in a tent!!!
    What a concept.

:big_smile::smile2::big_smile:

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Where were these when I was a kid???? We tent camped in the middle of august, and boy we coulda used something like that. Somebody shoulda come up with that years ago!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bet that thing would kick with a scoop of dry ice and the water wouldnt be a problem.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Swamp coolers,works great if its low humidity.....high humidity it isn't as effective

8. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now thats really something else.:wink:

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    That thing may be ok if it really works.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya in 05 at the illinois gathering i took a window mount and put it on a 5 gal bucket. smashed it againt the mesh window and tossed a comfortor over the tent & ac and made sure to leave back of ac open for air flow. we were freezing. and does no dammage this way.

also ive seen folks sit em on the ground and had a box built to fit the cold air outlet and 2 dryer ducts running off it to two tents.

but this would be no dought lighter and less hasstle. and no cords or elect needed.

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Those will never get the kids out of the tent...lol:smile2:

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think i want one lol,heat is hell on us fatboys lol..

13. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Everyone might want to read the review on the Cabelas site for this little unit. Doesn't sound like the guy was REAL happy with it. On a hot day you would need alot of ice and alot of attention to it.:confused2: