New bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by samh, Mar 16, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I been want'n to get a recurve or long bow for a while. After reading several books and everything I could find on the internet I decided instead of buy'n one I'd build my own. I went to Lowes and Homedepot both and looked through 75 or 80 red oak boards at each before finding 2 that looked like they'd do. After working for about a week ( a couple of hours a day) I got it made, red oak bow with red cedar handle, stained and polyurethaned it up real nice, 68 inches long, 50# at 28 inches, broke it in like the books say and I got'a say it shot very well, no hand shock and I actually hit a pie plate size target at 15 yards just about every time. I was really pleased , especially since this was my first try at instinctive shooting. Shot it 3 days in a row and it was just get'n better and better. Strung it up this afternoon and the first time I pulled it back I heard the dreaded "CRACK" and the top limb split. I cussed a while and went back to the house and looked at it and decided there's just one thing to do. I start working on the second one tomorrow.

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Sam, sorry to hear about your bow. Are you building recurves, longbows, or self bows?.. I know a few guys who build longbows and self bows but they only use Osage Orange (crabapple) which they cut and dry themself and then rip and plane them down. Good luck and huntin.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I call it a board bow, but it's closer to a long bow than anything else, this one was my first. The bow building forums I found all said red oak was an OK, not great, wood for making a board bow up to about 60#, Osage is one of the best, with hickory next and then elm. Got the bug now, I'm go'n to get on right, yet.

4. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    When you get the next one built post some pics ...would love to see it

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sam, I cut a Hickory from my friends farm in December and have it drying in the barn. After coating the ends with roofing compound to eliminate checking, I dried it until last month and then split it in quarters. The first 1/4 I will use is in the basement where I can control the humidity. I have removed the bark and soft wood and have started working it down into a "Self Bow". I also have some Dogwood cut and straitened for arrows. The first arrow is finished with an original stone point and feathers from a turkey I killed this season. I tied them on with sinew from one of the deer I killed in November. It's fun building you own stuff and very rewarding.

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    good luck on your next one sam.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Sam, I hate to hear abt bow cracking. I'm sure the net one will be better. let me show my ignorance. What is a selfbow? congrats on having the git-up-n-go to build bow. I bought mine. ;-(

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    A self bow is one that is made out of one piece of wood, the way the primitive people made them. They are sometimes bent and knotted because the maker would follow the grain of the tree it is made from to help avoid splitting. They were often "backed" with sinew or snake skin for added strength.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I went to a locust thicet back in Dec and cut 3 likey looking logs 6 foot long and about 10 inches thick, got them home and split them into quarters to dry them and all 3 of the logs were riddled with grubs. They had bored holes in them from one end to the other all the way to the center of them all, oh well they made good fire wood. We've got acres of hickory here on the place, but finding one that is straight grained and without lots of knots has been a a chore. Got to get out and spend some time really look'n the woods over. Like I said I've got lots of hickory along with some ash, maple and elm. Just need to take the time to cut some logs and get them started dry'n.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I was looking for a locust when I got the hickory but almost all of them were dead or dying. I think the grubs got them too.